Lindsay

Bonking ... not feelin' well Anyone deal with Hayes?

I now own 2 useless hydraulic front brakes hfx9's. 1st unit has a stuck piston, and my newer hfx9 after being charged by a bike shop for a bleed kit and labor $40.00 leaks. . I originally thought it leaked from the rubber cap at the caliper...

P.S. Test your brakes prior to going out to a trail after an adjustment. I found out the hard way, my front hyrdraulics failed after playing around w/ the lever reach adjustment screw.

I'm so sad now and broke. Should I try a different brand now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Once_Upon_A_Time
    I now own 2 useless hydraulic front brakes hfx9's. 1st unit has a stuck piston, and my newer hfx9 after being charged by a bike shop for a bleed kit and labor $40.00 leaks. . I originally thought it leaked from the rubber cap at the caliper...

P.S. Test your brakes prior to going out to a trail after an adjustment. I found out the hard way, my front hyrdraulics failed after playing around w/ the lever reach adjustment screw.

First thing, take your rig back to the LBS that did the bleed for you. A leak is definitely repairable. And so is a stuck piston! Unless you are a Trustafarian, you can't be buying new parts every time something quits working. It's just a part of MTB. Get yourself onto the Hayes website, look into the tech. section on how to tear those puppies apart. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. It's how most of us learn to do the work ourselves.
    It's what keeps me happy when I'm not riding!
    Another day in paradise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Once_Upon_A_Time

I'm sorry that you had a bad time. My experience with the company was great, and most I know are happy with them in terms of their service and products. One shop I deal with likes them because they say they have good parts availability and the products are repairable.

I found that they had good info on their web site too. Remember that they use DOT brake fluid which is nasty and requires some care.

Good luck.

Lindsay

THanks!

You know, I don't really ahve time to call Hayes on the Telephone. SO I emailed them on Sunday night. Guess what, they said to send both brakes back to them in Wisconsin for repair. For such a big company, that is surprising to me for a quick reply.

I'm keeping them.