GTNitdoneW1
    Apr 2009

Anyone converted their older XT brake/shifters to brake only???

Wondering if anyone has converted their older XT brake/shifters to brake only by fitting new XT brake levers & using the old hoses & calipers??

maybe???

mtbr member
    You could do that, but when you can get brand new system for just over $100/end I dont know why you would bother with the hassle.

MTBR Demi-God
    I started out with LX calipers and LX levers in 2006. I still have the original LX calipers and hose- but I have kept changing the levers (kept crashing and breaking them).. now I have XT775 levers.

So yes, it can be done. However, if you are using the old hose, you may have to cut it about 0.5" to fit in a new olive and insert. The olive is one time use only and must be replaced.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Yep, as mentioned here. Get some new levers on the bay and grab some new olives and you'll be good for the swap after a bleed. You'll have stronger levers too with the new Servowave levers.

Not really cost effective if you have to replace the lines and hardly cost effective with how cheap new XT brakesets are. But reusing old parts keeps them out of the landfill. Might be easiest to sell the set complete and replace with a new IceTech XT brake system.

Should just need to undo the hose from the shift/brake lever, slide the olive off. Take the lever off the bike, put the new olive on, tighten into lever. Grab a syringe filled with mineral oil and some aquarium hose, pump some new fluid in from the caliper and push oil from the syringe to the caliper until the oil about overflows from the reservoir in the lever. Should just be able to put the cap on and be done without needing to rebleed anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

Should just need to undo the hose from the shift/brake lever, slide the olive off. Take the lever off the bike, put the new olive on, tighten into lever. .
    You have been able to slide an olive that has been compressed onto a brakeline/barb? The ones I have taken apart on Shimano, Magura, Avid, Hope all are compressed and would not slide off.....had to cut the line to remove them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    You have been able to slide an olive that has been compressed onto a brakeline/barb? The ones I have taken apart on Shimano, Magura, Avid, Hope all are compressed and would not slide off.....had to cut the line to remove them.
    Not with olive fittings on bicycle brakes but yes with olive fittings on automotive vacuum and brake lines. Didnt figure it would be any different but sounds like it is.