mtbr member

Anyone buy pads from 'bikefridge'?

Tempting to get the 4 pair of pads from Bikefridge on ebay. Anyone tried their pads? Last thing I want is to deal with pads that don't work.
    Thanks!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought the Ceramic Pro pads from them around a week ago. They're supposed to be the best ones in terms of braking power, heat insulation and noise. The only stated downside is that they don't last long. They're on a set of BB7's with an Alligator wind cutter rotor. Pad wise I've used the original pads, which are sintered I believe, and Koolstop organics.

I've only used them for two short dry rides (around 50km total) after bedding them in so I'm almost sure that things will change but so far...

-Great braking and modulation. Slightly better in terms of overall power (in the dry) vs the other two pads but I would really need to do a side by side comparison to know for sure. Interestingly initial bite is very impressive on the Ceramic pads. Just pushing the bike around the front wheel locks up with almost no pressure on the lever (don't remember the other two pads doing that). Surprised the hell outta me the first time it happened. Obviously not the same when I'm actually on the bike and moving but it gives you an idea of the modulation.

-Quiet, but then again the other two pads never made any noise either so can't really confirm that claim.

-Heat insulation. They're on BB7's so heat is kinda moot. I will be receiving a set of Juicy 5's possibly by the end of the week despite all the bad reviews it has gotten. I'm pretty good with the tools and regularly service the brakes on my motorcycle so I decided to give the Juicys a try and see if they're really as bad as everyone say they are. If I do experience any heat related fade I'll try to do an update.

-Pad life. It is a concern. There doesn't seem to be any noticible wear so far but my brain tells me that you don't get something for nothing. I'll keep my eye on pad wear. I'm afraid that all it will take is one long muddy ride that will be all she wrote. For what it's worth they're pretty cheap so you can carry spares.

So I hope that helped you out a bit. If something significant happens in the future I'll update in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic

Give it a crank
    I ordered sintered metal pads for my BB5's, they were shipped the following day, that was yesterday so they're still in the mail. Prices are definitely good, we'll see how they perform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you want to try some inexpensive pads, pricepoint has alligators on sale: Cheap Disc Pads @PricePoint - $1 and up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    If you want to try some inexpensive pads, pricepoint has alligators on sale: Cheap Disc Pads @PricePoint - $1 and up
    Unfortunately they do not have Saint M810 pads.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I've ordered from them twice. No problems either time.. I find I get about a year out a set of pads. I ride mostly dry hard pack single track trails. For the price though, try them!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NonHands
    I bought the Ceramic Pro pads from them around a week ago. They're supposed to be the best ones in terms of braking power, heat insulation and noise. The only stated downside is that they don't last long. They're on a set of BB7's with an Alligator wind cutter rotor. Pad wise I've used the original pads, which are sintered I believe, and Koolstop organics.

I've only used them for two short dry rides (around 50km total) after bedding them in so I'm almost sure that things will change but so far...

-Great braking and modulation. Slightly better in terms of overall power (in the dry) vs the other two pads but I would really need to do a side by side comparison to know for sure. Interestingly initial bite is very impressive on the Ceramic pads. Just pushing the bike around the front wheel locks up with almost no pressure on the lever (don't remember the other two pads doing that). Surprised the hell outta me the first time it happened. Obviously not the same when I'm actually on the bike and moving but it gives you an idea of the modulation.

-Quiet, but then again the other two pads never made any noise either so can't really confirm that claim.

-Heat insulation. They're on BB7's so heat is kinda moot. I will be receiving a set of Juicy 5's possibly by the end of the week despite all the bad reviews it has gotten. I'm pretty good with the tools and regularly service the brakes on my motorcycle so I decided to give the Juicys a try and see if they're really as bad as everyone say they are. If I do experience any heat related fade I'll try to do an update.

-Pad life. It is a concern. There doesn't seem to be any noticible wear so far but my brain tells me that you don't get something for nothing. I'll keep my eye on pad wear. I'm afraid that all it will take is one long muddy ride that will be all she wrote. For what it's worth they're pretty cheap so you can carry spares.

So I hope that helped you out a bit. If something significant happens in the future I'll update in this thread.
    Well after riding them for a little over a month I think I know enough to give an informed opinion of them. I'm disappointed to say that they are no longer on my bike and I think I won't buy pads from Bikefridge/Discobrakes anymore.

Let me just preface this by saying that I hoped that their pads would preform well. In reality it didn't happen though.

I bought a few things from them.

-Ceramic Pro pads
    -Trial brake shoes
    -Explorer cartridge brake shoes.

I ride "mullet" style (Discs in the front, rim brakes in the back). I started the Ceramic Pro pads on a BB7 and then switched to Juicy 5's about half way through before I replaced the pads. Alligator Windcutter rotors. Generic linear brakes in the back, Cane Creek direct curve levers.

Let's start with the Ceramic Pro pads. My initial impression of them was pretty positive as you can see in my quote above. Good bite and quiet. That was after one ride. On the third ride they started to squeal. Very similar to the squeal you get from rim brakes that aren't toed in. Never got a squeal from the oem sintered or the Koolstop organics. I spent the better part of a month trying to get rid of the squeal. Bedding in, calliper alignment, sanding the disc/pads, "cooking" the pads, cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner, anti-squeal. Nothing made a difference.

In addition the pads never seems to fit well with the BB7/Juicy 5. First off the spring supplied with the pads didn't fit around pads without a little bit of sanding on the pads. Second the pads either didn't align properly in the calliper (I tried many times to get them to align) or were just plain too large. After a few rides I could see that a lip was forming where the outer edge of the rotor would hit. Never got that on my other pads. This could end up as a very dangerous problem. If the lip on the pads were to eventually touch as the pads wore then you would lose braking power. I tried sanding them flat and flush with each other using an orbital sander with 600grit sandpaper but the lip started to form again after a few rides. At that point I pretty much gave up on those pads.

I replaced the Ceramic Pros with the Koolstop organics I was previously using and things were good since them. No squealing, even pad wear, great braking power. Didn't even need to realign the calliper.

Honestly I was thinking I might have got a fluke pair. I was even willing to give them a second chance and buy another pair. At the very least just to satisfy my curiosity and see if they were really this bad. My experience with their linear brake shoes pretty much put an end to that idea.

I tried the trial pads because they sounded interesting. I found that they fit loosely in my Avid cartridge brakes. They were from around 2001 so I thought, "Ok I'll just buy a set of cartridge brakes from them." So I eventually had a set of their Trial and Explorer pads.

I gave them a good run I would say. In a nutshell they both preformed pretty much the same, lousy. It took four fingers to come to a rolling stop using just the rear brake. Couldn't even lock up the wheel most of the time. I gave them about a week each. Spending a good day for bedding them in on a downhill roads near me for each pair. Didn't seem to make a difference. Which didn't surprise me since bedding in linear brakes was never really suggested back in the days.

As a last ditch attempt I cleaned and sanded the rims and sanded the pads. Gave them one last go. No joy. I threw on my Koolstop brake shoes (I know I sound like a mouth piece for Koolstop. Sorry about that.) Back to two finger braking. Locking up the rear was a possibility again.

So I decided then that the great "Discobrake experiment" was finished. I'd like to think that after the initial excitement of something new I approach things in an objective way so I am willing to try the disc pads again but not if I have to pay money for them.

I am curious to hear of anyone else's long term experience with Discobrake products if anyone has them.

By the way, those EBC pads look interesting too....

Give it a crank
    I installed the sintered metal pads a few rides ago on my front brake and I'm very impressed. So far they have great stopping power with no rubbing at all on a BB5 brake, breaking is very smooth. I really hope they stay that way as they wear. I'll replace the rear pads in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought a 4-pack of semi-metallic pads for the Hope Mono6 calipers I have on my tandem. Compared to the OE Hope organic pads that these replaced, they are noisier at times (when they heat up, mostly) and have given less braking performance at all times.

The sellers are friendly enough and would have exchanged the 3 remaining sets of pads, but sintered compound (the only remaining choice for my pad style) causes serious vibration on the tandem, and sending the 3 sets back for a refund wasn't worth the effort. I keep 'em for spares when collapsing the pistons at pad change time and a spare set goes in the pack, just in case.

Next up - EBCs. Hey, at least they're cheap.