mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody run mechanical up front and hydro rear?

I'm building up a new frame and using parts from my old XTC NRS. My new fork has post mounts and the old Hayes hydros are IS only. I'm cheap and the Hayes hydros have worked great, especially the rear. I'm thinking of going with an Avid BB7 on the front with the old Hayes hydro on the rear (IS on the rear of my new frame). Anybody done anything like this? Thoughts? Suggestions for another inexpensive but effective brake setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you would use the hydro up front and a mechanical in the back, to put the braking power where it's most effective,unless you're trying to become the skidding champ on your block.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    you would use the hydro up front and a mechanical in the back, to put the braking power where it's most effective,unless you're trying to become the skidding champ on your block.
    If I could use the hydro up front I'd just switch both but the new fork has post mounts and the hydro brake is IS. There's no adapter I can find to make this work. I can go new hydro up front but I'm trying to keep the cost down while still having good braking, thus the BB7's. I could up the size of the front rotor to 185. This might make for more balanced braking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    IF you are going to go BB7 go BB7 front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    IF you are going to go BB7 go BB7 front and rear.
    That's a possibility but I'm trying to keep costs down and reuse perfectly good components. I'm more interested in how this might work with mechanical up front and hydro rear. I know I can replace the old hydros with anything I want, for a price, that's not the question.

g3h6o3
    Having different brakes front and back can feel akward.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    I'm building up a new frame and using parts from my old XTC NRS. My new fork has post mounts and the old Hayes hydros are IS only. I'm cheap and the Hayes hydros have worked great, especially the rear. I'm thinking of going with an Avid BB7 on the front with the old Hayes hydro on the rear (IS on the rear of my new frame). Anybody done anything like this? Thoughts? Suggestions for another inexpensive but effective brake setup?

Corse it will work out.....are you really that cheap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Corse it will work out.....are you really that cheap?
    Yep. I know it will work, that's not the question. I'm wondering how well it might work and what could be done to make it work better.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep. I know it will work, that's not the question. I'm wondering how well it might work and what could be done to make it work better.
    So you really arn't that cheap....

Brake adapters?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you really arn't that cheap....

Brake adapters?
    Plenty to adapt post mount brakes to IS mount forks. You aware of any that go the other way (IS brake to post mount fork)?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Plenty to adapt post mount brakes to IS mount forks. You aware of any that go the other way (IS brake to post mount fork)?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Adapters.aspx

Yup, this may not be what you are looking for but they should be out there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you want to keep costs down and it will obviously work, then i don't really understand the question. I'd say go for it, its the perfect opportunity to see if you want to completely switch to mechs or stay hydro without dooming yourself to either side. Generally you would want the more powerful brake up front, but if you've got a bb7 there, then theres really no problem. Try it out and report back with the results

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Adapters.aspx

Yup, this may not be what you are looking for but they should be out there.
    The adapter that would work is $41, plus I'd need to buy a 170mm rotor for $25. Not exactly cost effective. I can get a BB7 for less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod22
    If you want to keep costs down and it will obviously work, then i don't really understand the question. I'd say go for it, its the perfect opportunity to see if you want to completely switch to mechs or stay hydro without dooming yourself to either side. Generally you would want the more powerful brake up front, but if you've got a bb7 there, then theres really no problem. Try it out and report back with the results
    I was just wondering if anyone had tried this combo and could drop some pearls of wisdom. Seems I may be a guinea pig. I may just go for it and report back. I don't think I would die or anything. Maybe go for a 185 rotor to try and balance it a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The adapter that would work is $41, plus I'd need to buy a 170mm rotor for $25. Not exactly cost effective. I can get a BB7 for less.

So lazy and cheap, the adapters exist, go find a cheap one.

BTW if you clicked on the closeout store, you would have seen the same adapter for $20 bucks...

Jeez really lazy and cheap.

Oh and BTW BB7's on for about $40 bucks each not inluding the lever, that you omitted telling us about...

Oh and that leaves you without a "better" hydraulic brake on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So lazy and cheap, the adapters exist, go find a cheap one.

BTW if you clicked on the closeout store, you would have seen the same adapter for $20 bucks...

Jeez really lazy and cheap.

Oh and BTW BB7's on for about $40 bucks each not inluding the lever, that you omitted telling us about...

Oh and that leaves you without a "better" hydraulic brake on the bike.
    I checked the outlet and the adapter isn't available. The one in the outlet is for IS forks to post calipers. I did a lot of searching for adapters and never turned up one for a post fork to IS caliper so I appreciate those that could point me in the right direction. However, it's still more expensive. Jenson has BB7 for $45 plus shipping. That's about as cheap as I've found them. What did I omit telling you about? Who said anything about the hydro being "better"? Never mentioned this one way or the other. Why the attitude? I admit I'm cheap, frugal might be a better term, but I'm hardly lazy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I checked the outlet and the adapter isn't available. The one in the outlet is for IS forks to post calipers. I did a lot of searching for adapters and never turned up one for a post fork to IS caliper so I appreciate those that could point me in the right direction. However, it's still more expensive. Jenson has BB7 for $45 plus shipping. That's about as cheap as I've found them. What did I omit telling you about? Who said anything about the hydro being "better"? Never mentioned this one way or the other. Why the attitude? I admit I'm cheap, frugal might be a better term, but I'm hardly lazy.

Your issue is solved by mounting the set up and riding the bike...

Do so...

The adapters are out there PM to IS for $20 bucks go that way then ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your issue is solved by mounting the set up and riding the bike...

Do so...

The adapters are out there PM to IS for $20 bucks go that way then ride the bike.
    Thanks for your help but I haven't found one for $20. Maybe you could give me a link but the ones I've found are $41 and up plus a new rotor for $25. For $66 plus shipping I can get a new Hayes hydro caliper. I think I'll try the BB7 first. Even if it doesn't work well I've at least got a component I could use in the future.

MTB B'dos
    PFT I don't see what the fuss is about, it's how I currently have my Karate Monkey setup I have no issues with the different levers or feel, I have the reach of both adjusted to my liking and levers themselves set for 1 finger braking. I am running BB7s w/ Avid Speeddial levers and Juicy7 on back. I'm doing this for somewhat the same reason as you, don't have the right adapter for my new post mount fork to run the Mono Minis F & R so running Mini rear/Juicy7 front on my FS.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a very similar setup to yours and have no problems at all with brake power/feel - there is negligible difference between my Avid BB7 on the front and Hayes HFX-9 on the rear of my Giant NRS-1.
    I decided to go the mechanical on the front because I was having heaps of drama trying to get rid of brake "shudder" from the original HFX-9 (many re-aligments, new rotor, pads, bleeds, new pistons). And I liked the idea of being able to adjust the amount of pull before pad contact. Only the more expensive hydraulics have the ajustments I wanted from the BB7.
    I am only using a plain run-of-the-mill Shimano Deore leaver for the BB7 (to keep costs low), but it seems to work well enough for me.
    I initially had some brake squeal issues with the BB7, but a bit of tweaking has minimised that.
    In the end, when you are hurtling through the bush dodging trees/rocks etc, you really don't notice any minimal difference between fron and rear braking - your brain has other things to worry about.
    I'd say go for it !!!!

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone answered your adapter questions. Hayes adapters and well as magura (on Pricepoint) are very inexpensive and work fine. I have several sets of Tektro Auriga, Deore LX, Deore and rarely use Shimano adpters unless they are cheap. Just pe sure the adapter is for a 74mm post mount caliper (Magura has 74 and something else I believe). Oh, and Avid adapters work at 203 and 160, but in the middle, they use a 185 where Hayes and Shimano use a 180. This will cause filing on your part...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Don't you also need to add the cost of levers and cable/housing to the bb7?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I don't think anyone answered your adapter questions. Hayes adapters and well as magura (on Pricepoint) are very inexpensive and work fine. I have several sets of Tektro Auriga, Deore LX, Deore and rarely use Shimano adpters unless they are cheap. Just pe sure the adapter is for a 74mm post mount caliper (Magura has 74 and something else I believe). Oh, and Avid adapters work at 203 and 160, but in the middle, they use a 185 where Hayes and Shimano use a 180. This will cause filing on your part...
    He doesn't have a 74mm post mount caliper, he has a 51mm IS mount caliper. All the readily available and cheap adapters for post mount calipers won't help him. He would need something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=13735
    Which is cheap, but out of stock, and would still require him to buy a bigger disc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Don't you also need to add the cost of levers and cable/housing to the bb7?
    I've got all that. Nice Avid levers and bulk housing. Plenty of cables too.

mtbr member
    Funny post. I just set my girlfriends bike up with the exact same setup. She also is to cheap to buy new brakes and is reusing some of my old brakes. I rode it around the block after installing the hydro/mechanical combo and came back with a quick synopsis. It felt like ****, but her previous set up felt like a larger pile of ****. I did everything possible to try to make the brakes feel the same, really hard to match.
    BFLO_SKAT