mtbr member

Anybody mixing Hope M4 & X2 calipers f/r?

I've got two sets of same-generation Hope brakes, one X2 and one M4. Front and rear rotor sizes are 183 and 160mm. Recently, I transferred over my X2 brake set to a 29er hard tail, and find that -while adequate -the X2-equipped front could use a little more stopping power on extended descents. Hence, the consideration of mixing caliper types: rear M4 on my 26er FS bike to the front of my 29er hardtail bike, and vice versa. Seems harmless enough. Any considerations to think about? So far, I've only considered weight, which is pretty much negligible (i.e. a difference of 16 grams). Thanks!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Did I catch a niner?
    Post your brake setups
    This fella right here did something very similar however he did it backwards to what you plan to do. I agree with your way of doing it, putting the stronger brake up front.

I might try a 160mm rotor up front with a M4, I imagine that would still be pretty powerful. I have never used hope brakes
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    V2's are 10x stronger than the M4's. And yes, it makes sense to run an M4 front and X2 rear. But Hope isn't the brake I remember. I used to have M4's and Mono Mini's when they were black and gold and now have Tech M4's and they suck. They came on a used DH bike and I expected more. I've even replaced the pads and they still disappoint. My Elixir CR's on my AM bike kill the Hopes.

mtbr member
    Yeah, having the stronger brake up front makes sense, as I hear that something like 80 pct of braking is from the front wheel & rotor. I think I'm going to try it.

Can't vouch for M4's on a downhill machine, but they're solid on my trail bike. Those V2's look nice -especially the vented rotor. What's the weight difference of those things compared to M4's?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run Evo Tech M4 front 183 and Evo Tech X2 160 rear, Weigh 95kg on a Turner. Awesome setup.
    The M4 gives a little more power/moudulation. The X2 easily scrubs speed off the rear.

mtbr member
    Nice! Sounds like it's what I can use.

Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    I run Evo Tech M4 front 183 and Evo Tech X2 160 rear, Weigh 95kg on a Turner. Awesome setup.
    The M4 gives a little more power/moudulation. The X2 easily scrubs speed off the rear.