Ride on ... eh!

Any tips on removing a stripped rotor bolt??

It isn't urgent now, but I had to recently remove the rotor on my front hub to access the bearing, and when I was re-torquing the bolts, I guess I wasn't all the way in with the Torx wrench and I ended up stripping the head of the bolt. Luckily it is pretty tight, but it looks like it ain't gonna be easy to get out.
    I don't want to drill it out, but what other ways have you all done this?
    Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

uofabill
    Aug 2003

A couple of thoughts,

You may be able to use an "easy out" in the torx hole.
    If that doesn't work it sounds like a job for the "ol" ViceGrips. A smallish pair with the narrow jaws. Something else that may help the vice grips is to very carefully file a small flat on opposite sides of the rotorbolt. That will give the Vice Grip more of a surface to "grip". You'll need to be real careful filing so that you don't scar the braking surface on the rotor when you are filing. It shouldn't take much to get it to where the Vice Grips will hold.
    My last idea is to, again very carefully, hacksaw a thin/narrow slot in the top of the rotor bolt with a thin fine blade. A cut off wheel in a Dremel tool will do this too. So you can use a flat blade screw driver to possibly unscrew it.
    Good luck

-> SickLines.com <-
    Slotting it with a dremel will work. Depending on how bad you rounded it, i've heard that torx bolts when rounded out basically turn into allen heads. You could try fitting an allen in there. good luck

_
    Mar 2004
    this scenario happened to me, i used a grinder, actually my neighbor did, and it worked. no damage to the rotor either, you just need to be very careful. good luck!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnbkrdude
    It isn't urgent now, but I had to recently remove the rotor on my front hub to access the bearing, and when I was re-torquing the bolts, I guess I wasn't all the way in with the Torx wrench and I ended up stripping the head of the bolt. Luckily it is pretty tight, but it looks like it ain't gonna be easy to get out.
    I don't want to drill it out, but what other ways have you all done this?
    Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I would just drill it out. It is the quickest and easiest method. Just drill to pop the head off, remove the other bolts and then the rotor, and grab the bolt with Vicegrips and twist it out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common