mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Any specific procedure to refill empty hydraulic system?

I tore down my brake levers and also emptied out my lines and calipers to clean them. I'm waiting on new replacement parts before I rebuild the system.

I wanted to know, is there a good way to fill the system with DOT fluid so air and bleeding will be at a minimum?

It seems the basic bleeding process won't do for refilling an empty system. I'm thinking refill from the caliper, up the lines, until it over flows at the lever. Then do a couple of bleeds until it feels right.

Any better ideas would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Before I sold my Shimano M665 brakes (mineral oil) I emptied out one of the sides. When I re-added fluid I just did a standard bleed (adding in reservoir, pumping lever, etc.). I think I used more fluid than I could have, but I was really trying to be thorough. The lever was nice and firm.

Wouldn't spilling dot fluid out of the lever potentially damage whatever it gets on?

mtbr member
    Depends on the brakes you have. They are all different when it comes to bleeding. Read the instructions for the brakes you have and then do a google search to see what other people recommend. Might also pay to have a chat to your local mechanic to see if he has any tips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    ...I'm thinking refill from the caliper, up the lines, until it over flows at the lever. Then do a couple of bleeds until it feels right...
    Sounds about right for your Juicy's.

Nuts
    I filled a set of XT's and went from the caliper up, just made sense that air would rise easier. I didn't even have to bleed the front one. Of coarse that was mineral oil so all I did was put a catch pan below the lever and let it flow out. Not sure how Avids are but maybe you could install the bleed fitting on the master cylinder and a hose and let the extra fluid flow into something.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilva View Post

Wouldn't spilling dot fluid out of the lever potentially damage whatever it gets on?
    DOT fluid isn't that bad. As long as you wipe down the over flow and spray the part with alcohol within 5 minutes, its ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just follow Avid's directions and collect the DOT fluid in the lever syringe.