mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Any Recommendations???

I'm looking at putting disc brakes on my gf Tass and don't have a clue on manufacturers/quality, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on a disc brake set for around $200.00?

Thanks,

PH

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Mechanical discs

Most hydraulic brakes are well over $100 ea, so for your budget I suggest Avid Mechanical discs, you can get them for at little as $75ea. Superior to v-brakes, easy to install, maintain and adjust. Lots of fade free power once broken in.

If you want to really get great performance, and less maintenance, hydraulic brakes are the way to go. Lots of power, light/snappy lever feel. There is however a learning curve in bleeding the hydraulic fluid, but once they're installed and ajusted, hydros pretty much are maintenance free.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Htail,
    What would you recommend for hydro's if I was to spend a little more? Or is it even worth it to go with a lower grade hydro? Could I tell that much of a difference between the mech's and hydro's?

Thanks,

PH

just along for the ride
    For hydros get Shimano Deores, Hones or the new Avid juicy 5's being its proabably your first disk brake I would highly recommend the Avid mechanicals, or if money is tight some Shinamo mechanicals, can't recommend Hayes (problomatic) or Hopes (pricey but very good brakes).

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    For hydros get Shimano Deores, Hones or the new Avid juicy 5's being its proabably your first disk brake I would highly recommend the Avid mechanicals, or if money is tight some Shinamo mechanicals, can't recommend Hayes (problomatic) or Hopes (pricey but very good brakes).

For sure the Deores are great for the money, surprisingly powerful with good feel.
    The Avid mechanicals have eye popping power! I rode a demo bike at my old workplace (which is an Avid importer/distributor) and i came away thinking that it was almost too much power! A good squeeze would result in immediate endo's!!
    And the Juicy Fives are great too, they are basically the same as 7's except they don't have the little red dial. However they still might cost a bit more than what you want to spend.
    Can't go wrong with those Avid mechanicals for the money they cost though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    For sure the Deores are great for the money, surprisingly powerful with good feel.
    The Avid mechanicals have eye popping power! I rode a demo bike at my old workplace (which is an Avid importer/distributor) and i came away thinking that it was almost too much power! A good squeeze would result in immediate endo's!!
    And the Juicy Fives are great too, they are basically the same as 7's except they don't have the little red dial. However they still might cost a bit more than what you want to spend.
    Can't go wrong with those Avid mechanicals for the money they cost though.
    Thanks guys,

I appreciate the advice, as always.

PH

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Avid BB 7's. Low to no maintenance, tooless pad replacement and all the braking power u'd need for far less $ than decent hydros.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Hayes maybe

I run Juicy 7's currently and really happy with them now that I've tinkered and gotten to know how to set 'em up. I am curious as to the new Hayes El Camino's. Hayes seems to be the old standby disc brakes for so many riders, and it's quite an update from their previous product line- a long time coming.

If you're on a budget, the Avid Mechs are one of the best buys in mtn biking. At one time I listed them as one of my "must have upgrades" along with a good pair of clipless pedals, Camelback Lobo, Hutchinson tires and San Marco seat.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]