mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Any reasonable IS mount rear brakes?

I have an older Black Sheep frame lying around that I was planning on converting to SS. It has vertical drops, so I was planning to use White Industries eccentric ENO hubs to tension the chain. However, my frame has IS mounts on the chain stays (I think this is to allow racks to be mounted on the frame), and I don't think there is enough room to accommodate the adjustable post mount converters that come with the ENO hubs. So I'll have to go a different route on wheels.

I'm wondering if there are any reasonable IS mount rear brakes out there. Looks like Magura makes them, but they are $$$ (My original plan was to use BB7's). Any other thoughts?

mtbr member
    Shimano made some IS calipers, just stay away from the XT m755s (they probably won't fit).

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Tektro Auriga Comp's work well, bleed easily, and fit those sorts of mounts. GT and Rocky Mountain use similar disc mounts on their hybrid frames and spec tektro brakes heavily.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

...idios...
    Hope Minis (two-piece caliper) or Mono Minis are available in IS for a 140mm (caliper No.5) or 160mm rear (No.3). They're both relatively inexpensive on eBay nowadays, especially since the new Tech systems came out. Both brakes use the same fully serviceable lever. The calipers are also easily maintained/overhauled as they use the same piston seals found on the Mono Minis up until 2008.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler