Crank monkey

New question here. Any real rider reports on the Hayes HMX-2?

I read the reviews - there aren't many on the HMX-2. Hayes' website is no help either.

My brother just bought his first MTB (Giant Iguana - now he won't have to borrow my HT), and it comes stock with the -2 mechs. I'm curious how they stack up to both the HMX-1 (of which I haven't heard a lot of good), and the Avid Mechs (which I have on my bike and wouldn't trade for the world - OK, maybe for a free set of juicy's, but that's it).

Sooo, just curious, whaddya think about the HMX-2's?
    Cheers,
    Smytty

_
    Mar 2004
    If I recall, the HMX-2's don't have any inner adjustment dial on the caliper, the inner adjustment dial on my old HMX-1's always seemed to seize up, so, you would need pliers or some other form of leverage to rotate the dial.

Yes, they are disc brakes, but they leave much to be desired....so, i would have to honestly say, the HMX-1 and the HMX-2 disc brake are about equal since the adjusment dial seized, it was like having no adjustment at all.

Crank monkey

Yeah, that's about what I figured.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?
    Cheers,
    Smytty

Cheesiest
    I don't know about the HMX-2's, but my MX-1's are making me want to put v-brakes back on until I can afford some Avids. I was doing a short downhill section, and it seemed like it would be impossible to lock the front brake (not that I would try).