No Tail-Just a Nub

Any progress on Shimano caliper pistons?

I know there has been lots of discussion of sticky XTR pistons, and I have my routine of regularly tending to mine following the collective wisdom from others. But it is still a pain when the pistons won't retract and I'm back to cleaning and working them every few rides.

Has Shimano addressed the issue (I got a warranty replacement rear caliper last year, but the same issue exists with that one)? Is there any progress on a real solution to these sticky pistons?

I hope there is something out there...in any case, I needed to vent...
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

Can Tree Member
    Good question...I am not sure if I'm up to speed on all of the discussions, so i would be interested in what your routine/regularly tending to them involves.

To keep my 965 calipers running smoothly, I clean the pistons with alcohol when they start acting up, and I replace the pads before they they are completely worn out. The pistons seem to retract more reliably when they are starting from a mostly retracted position, vs. a partially extended position as would be the case when the pads are getting worn down.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I find the xtr capliers a little much to keep up with. I really do not like the constant caplier cleaning. So recently I have installed some Formulas. Incredible power. They are crazy strong...but do not offer the feel of the Shimano. I am thinking of installing some XT calipers with my XTR levers on another bike. I do not know of many people complaing on sticky XT calipers.

ballbuster

Which gen are we talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by sangmatt
    I know there has been lots of discussion of sticky XTR pistons, and I have my routine of regularly tending to mine following the collective wisdom from others. But it is still a pain when the pistons won't retract and I'm back to cleaning and working them every few rides.

Has Shimano addressed the issue (I got a warranty replacement rear caliper last year, but the same issue exists with that one)? Is there any progress on a real solution to these sticky pistons?

I hope there is something out there...in any case, I needed to vent...
    I have the last year's ones... the shiny blue-ish ones. I was riding a sandy wet ride yesterday, and I noticed they got some sand stuck in there, got a bit sticky, then kicked the debris out and they were fine again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack
    I do not know of many people complaing on sticky XT calipers.
    My 08 XT's had an issue with sticky pistons in the cold weather last winter. They've been money since then, though. I'm hoping the seals got "worked out" or "broken in" or something, so that I won't have a problem this winter.

No Tail-Just a Nub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Good question...I am not sure if I'm up to speed on all of the discussions, so i would be interested in what your routine/regularly tending to them involves.

To keep my 965 calipers running smoothly, I clean the pistons with alcohol when they start acting up, and I replace the pads before they they are completely worn out. The pistons seem to retract more reliably when they are starting from a mostly retracted position, vs. a partially extended position as would be the case when the pads are getting worn down.
    My routine is similar - clean with alcohol on a swab, lightly lube w/tri-flo on a swab, work in and out, wipe off to keep dust from sticking. The lube and being sure to work them all the way in (retracted) and then out and back in all the way has made a positive difference over when I was just cleaning. I've heard different views on the lube.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I have the last year's ones... the shiny blue-ish ones. I was riding a sandy wet ride yesterday, and I noticed they got some sand stuck in there, got a bit sticky, then kicked the debris out and they were fine again.
    My experience is specific to the previous generation calipers--965. I think that the new model is 975...I didn't think that they had the same issues.

Hey,sangmatt...what generation calipers are you running?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

I should be studying...
    I have a set of the original XTR monoblocks that stuck a little when I first got them in 2005. That all seemed to work it self out as these brakes have required no maintenance at all.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

No Tail-Just a Nub

975's

My experience is specific to the previous generation calipers--965. I think that the new model is 975...I didn't think that they had the same issues.

Hey,sangmatt...what generation calipers are you running?
    no progress that I can tell between models, but I was hoping for a fix having been developed

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sangmatt
    no progress that I can tell between models, but I was hoping for a fix having been developed
    I'm not holding my breath for a fix...they are what they are. Or in my case, they are what they were. It would be interesting to hear directly from the Shimano engineers on this one...how they suggest the brakes be set-up and maintained. Since XTR is their race-level line, it would not surprise me to learn that "keep them clean and don't run the pads past 1/2-way gone" were within their design parameters.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

No Tail-Just a Nub

biting the bullet

I'm not holding my breath for a fix...they are what they are. Or in my case, they are what they were. It would be interesting to hear directly from the Shimano engineers on this one...how they suggest the brakes be set-up and maintained. Since XTR is their race-level line, it would not surprise me to learn that "keep them clean and don't run the pads past 1/2-way gone" were within their design parameters.
    agreed...perhaps its time for me to let it go and shell out for some formulas.