mtbr member

Any opinions on the Avid Elixir brakes?

Doesn't matter if it is the Carbon or alloy.

I have XT's and saw the Avid at the shop today was just wondering any comparison to the XT or just in General.

BTW I feel the Avid are far more flexible adjustability on the fly wise.

Thoughts?

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tostudent

I have XT's and saw the Avid at the shop today was just wondering any comparison to the XT or just in General.

Thoughts?
    Love mine so far. I have only experience with juicey 5's so don't have much to compare to. They are very quiet which I have heard avid's in general are not known for. Much quieter than the j 5's they replaced.

mtbr member
    I have about four rides on mine. Much better than the BB5/7 combo they replaced. The rear brake is noisy though. Great stopping power and I like the adjustable reach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tostudent

Thoughts?
    I don't know what makes the Elixirs more adjustable than the XT's...

Anyway, I do have the Elixirs R's. I like them so far. For the price I couldn't NOT try them. I have been using BB7's for a long time.

Oh yeah, you should be in the brake forum with this thread...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you have the 08 XTs with servo wave etc? If you do I would just stick with those unless you are trying to drop weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put Elixir CRs (185F/160R) on my Dillinger. I've only got one good trail ride on them so far, but they are a vast improvement over the Hayes Nine brakes on my other bike. Power, modulation, and ergonomics are great. I sprung for the CR version so I could get the pad contact point adjustment. They look great too - not that any of us are shallow...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I cant imagine why anyone would want to get rid of XT hydros, let alone for Elixirs. There are some things each company does better, but from my experience with a wide range of different brakes from the 2 manufacturers, shimano has avid beat when it comes to feel and setup/lack of noise.

The Elixirs are fine and they are pretty close to the XT but my fingers and brain like the XT better.

mtbr member
    Moving thread to the Brake forum. Not sure why people insist on starting generic threads in the 29er forum.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Moving thread to the Brake forum. Not sure why people insist on starting generic threads in the 29er forum.
    Well Vecsus, it's because 29'er guys don't know any better, and they don't want any advice from sources outside of the 29'er realm.

Now...I'm totally kidding.

But back to the issue of Elixirs, I get to ride a bunch of different styles of brakes while working at a shop. I would say that I've not ridden a set of 2-piston bike hydros with as much power as the Elixirs. And when paired with the right size rotors, modulation and feel are excellent. The only other non-DH specific brakes I've ridden that felt this good were those now defunct Shimano 4-piston XT brakes.

We had a Specialized test bike at the shop that came with these. After riding that bike, I ordered a set of plain Elixir R models for my Stumpjumper FSR to replace Juicy 5's. I continued to be totally impressed by the Elixirs, so I got another set for my Nomad to replace my reliable and strong Hayes Mags. Having used them for some time now, I continue to be impressed. I literally had to drop a rotor size on both of my bikes' wheels due to the power of these brakes. Even with reduced rotor size, they are still more powerful than the previous brakes, but now the modulation is spot-on.

Oh...the price of the R model is most impressive too.

Working Man's Toilet
    I have only ever ridden Avid disc brakes- been a Juicey 7 guy from the get go- have had 2 pairs of Elixers- C and the CR- Love the look and ease of adjustment-

What I don't like is they have less power than my Juiceys- I have had 3 sets of 7's all had the same power and modulation. The Elixeris are supposed to be more powerful but I have yet to notice and in fact would say they are one rotor size less powerful- ie I need to go up to 203s from my 185s to get the power I want. I will likely be selling both elixers shortly due to this fact.

mtbr member
    I replaced a pair of Hayes Stroker Trails with the Elixir CR. With the same size rotors, 185F and 160R, the Elixirs are way more powerful. I rode my same local trails and turns that I would overshoot with the Strokers are easily cleaned. I think the wider lever is an improvement as well. The Avids are actually quieter too.

Two complaints. The lower front mounting bolt that came with the 185 rotor was about a mm too long and would not fully tighten in my Fox Float 32 140 mm fork. I have XT shifters and with the Elixirs the shifters are too far to the inside do to the gear indicator. I tried running them on the outside of the brakes but then I couldn't reach the brakes as well. Guess I'll have to look into the XTR shifters.

TNC
    noMAD man
    [QUOTE=D3DO]I have only ever ridden Avid disc brakes- been a Juicey 7 guy from the get go- have had 2 pairs of Elixers- C and the CR- Love the look and ease of adjustment-

What I don't like is they have less power than my Juiceys- I have had 3 sets of 7's all had the same power and modulation. The Elixeris are supposed to be more powerful but I have yet to notice and in fact would say they are one rotor size less powerful- ie I need to go up to 203s from my 185s to get the power I want. I will likely be selling both elixers shortly due to this fact.[/QUOTE\
    I'm relatively sure that something is wrong with those Elixirs...or the install...or the setup...or something. How two brakesets would have a problem right out of the box sounds highly unlikely, but I'm sorry...Elixirs are flat out stronger than Juicy's as long as rotor sizes are equal. Something is amiss. I am not saying that Juicy's are weak, bad, or junk...just not as strong.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Something is amiss. I am not saying that Juicy's are weak, bad, or junk...just not as strong.
    I would love to know what is wrong, if that is your experience that they are actually stronger- I have set them up as per the directions in the box- maybe not enough break in time?? I have about 15-20 hours on my SS. Maybe I'll keep them for a bit longer- So far they just don't have the same "bite" as the juicys. No instant power- almost like too much modulation or like a car with antilock brakes.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    I would love to know what is wrong, if that is your experience that they are actually stronger- I have set them up as per the directions in the box- maybe not enough break in time?? I have about 15-20 hours on my SS. Maybe I'll keep them for a bit longer- So far they just don't have the same "bite" as the juicys. No instant power- almost like too much modulation or like a car with antilock brakes.
    And please understand...I'm not dissin' your observation, but when everything is working correctly on both models of brakes, the Elixirs should be noticeably stronger. I'm guessing it's the taperbore master cylinder or a combination of things, but they are almost too strong with certain size rotors. I'd say 15-20 hours is way more than enough time for "bed-in". Mine were super strong in just a few miles. I'm assuming your set was new in the box and already bled? We sold a few sets so far and haven't found a bad one yet as far as bleed quality. It would be almost unbelieveably bad luck to get a bad bleed on two separate sets. I don't know. Diagnosing brake sets over the internet can be difficult.

Like I said, Juicy's are fine, but at worst the Elixirs are the equal in power to Juicy's.

Working Man's Toilet
    No worries- I did not think you were doin' a diss-
    Thought you may be able to help- From the get go on both sets, they have had a sensation of "oil on the pads" or that they can't quite get the same grip as the juicys. Both sets were purchased new- there is no spongey feel to the lever, just no power. I also have a set of Hayes Strokers- Elixers are a bit more powerful then theses, but not the pit bull power of my juiceys.

Maybe I'll give avid a call.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Are there bike made that are not 29ers?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    No worries- I did not think you were doin' a diss-
    Thought you may be able to help- From the get go on both sets, they have had a sensation of "oil on the pads" or that they can't quite get the same grip as the juicys. Both sets were purchased new- there is no spongey feel to the lever, just no power. I also have a set of Hayes Strokers- Elixers are a bit more powerful then theses, but not the pit bull power of my juiceys.

Maybe I'll give avid a call.
    Most of my friends have or have had a set of Juicy 7's at some point in time. Across those bikes, the feel, strength has been about the same. Meaning neither was overly stronger or weaker, squealed more, dragged, etc. than any other set. Put it plainly, they just worked.

Recently, one of my friends got a set of Elixir CR's 203/185's for an RFX. From what I was hearing, the Elixir should be stronger than the Juicy's. Knowing that, I was thinking the 203's would be complete overkill....i saw 1 finger endo's at 5 mph in his future. Heck, he could probably endo at a standstill! Anyways, I was very curious how they would feel so of course, I rode around on his bike...just a parking lot test but they didn't feel significantly stronger than my Juicy's (which are 185's F and R). The powerband was different for sure though....not the "on/off" power of the Juicy's. Now, maybe it's the bleed, maybe the pads got contaminated somehow (he didn't bleed the front though....just the rear)....maybe the F had a "bad" bleed from the factory.....maybe he did a bad bleed to his rear. Who knows. Too many variables. All I know is that it wouldn't make me go out and get them for the supposed increased power and modulation.

Also, the when most people say they don't like the "on/off" power of the Juicy's, I have no problem with them....you just acclimate to it. Every brake has modulation.....some not as much as others or are more sensitive than others.

Now, that being said....if I was going to buy a new set of brakes, I'd get the Elixir's. They look better for sure and aren't much more than the Juicy's so why not.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Also, the when most people say they don't like the "on/off" power of the Juicy's, I have no problem with them....you just acclimate to it. Every brake has modulation.....some not as much as others or are more sensitive than others.
    I think this on-off of the Juiceys is what I like. I like to stop NOW!!, compared to a ABS of a car that just slows you down.
    I am still debating on a switch back to juicys- rode the elixers yesterday and they were fine, but it was a rolling trail, no sketchy tech.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojobeer
    I have XT shifters and with the Elixirs the shifters are too far to the inside do to the gear indicator. I tried running them on the outside of the brakes but then I couldn't reach the brakes as well. Guess I'll have to look into the XTR shifters.

You should be able to remove the gear indicator. If your XT shifters are older and you can't, get the new SLX shifters. You can remove the gear indicator, adjusts the mounting location and they are cheaper. Shimano says they have the same internals as the new XT minus the metal shift levers. I had the same problem and bought the SLX. Good bang for the buck.