mtbr member

Any Long Term Reviews of the Formula Megas?

There are some pretty excellent deals available on the Formula Mega's (and the One's) right now. I would love to purchase a set of the Ones, but even with the discounts available they are little out of my range.

The Mega's are much more affordable and are only 20 grams heavier per brake. I know they have a 2-piece caliper versus the mono-block of the One's. I don' t think that the added stiffness/power is worth the $ for an AM bike.

So, can anyone who has spent much time on the Mega's speak to their build quality and longer term performance?

I have a pair of the Oro Biancos and love them. If the Mega's have the same build quality with more power, they may find a home on my AM machine (while the Bianco's get moved to the hardtail).

TLL
    mtbr member
    Yes.

I have been on a pair for about 6 months, currently have them set up on an 08 Turner RFX, 200 front, 180 rear.

Here are my subjective impressions:

Trimming/bleeding/setup: Piece of cake, mostly. Bleeding the air out of the lines after trimming the lines up was pretty easy, using the Formula bleed kit. Avid bleed kits work as well. Getting the caliper to center up exactly was a bit of work; the squeeze and tighten method does not always center the caliper exactly. Bedding in took a bit of time, I had to find a steep hill to get them feeling pretty good.

Ergonomics/adjustments: You have lots of lever and bite adjustment with the levers, so it is pretty easy to find a lever position the works. I initially set my levers to grab early in travel, but have gone over to having them grab later in travel, so you do not need much pressure on the lever to activate the brakes. To adjust grab point, you have to pull the wheel/rotor and pull the lever. Sillly, tho not an issue.

Build quality is excellent, mine still look brand new.

Pad life: pretty decent. pads are easy to change too.

power/modulation: excellent! The MEGAs have excellent modulation and gobs of power. They are the first brake I have run that I feel confident will stop me anytime. I have run Louises, Xt's, and XTRs and none compare. I have completely changed my style of braking due to their stopping power: before, I would have to lay on the brakes early before stopping, and would drag the brakes a lot as a result. Now, I wait till the last possible second, then grab a handful of brake to stop/slow down. They seem to perform better when used hard, tho of course you can just tap the lever to scrub a little speed off as well.

Personally, I don't notice the slight extra weight and don't think is is even a factor. Also, I had a squeal in the rear brake that took some diagnosing, but I was able to get rid of it with no issues.

Would I buy the MEGAs again? Unless I needed the Oros, the answer is yes. I absolutely love them. They will go on whatever bike I build up next.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member

Excellent...

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Would I buy the MEGAs again? Unless I needed the Oros, the answer is yes. I absolutely love them. They will go on whatever bike I build up next.
    Thanks for the detailed review!!!

Custom User Title
    I have only had my One's for about a month. I have 180 in front and back. But my account is the same as TTL. Very easy to install, cut, bleed, and adjust.

Previous brakes are:
    XTR V brakes (not relevant)
    Magura Marta w/160's (total crap)
    Shimano XT 755 w/180-160 (was hard to replace)
    Avid Juicy 7 w/203-185 (only a piece of crap)
    Hope M6Ti 200's (on the DH rig)

My assessment of The One's is they have the power of the Juicy 7's with 8 inch rotors and the the modulation of the 755's. The brake in time for me was the first ride. The only thing I had to get used to is the late grab in the lever throw. The 755's started to grab as the lever moved. The one's start to grab towards the end(close to the bars). The other great thing about them is you never, I mean never, have to use two fingers on one brake lever. The feel is so light sometimes you don't realize you pulled the brake until you start to slow down. The 180 in back makes scrubbing off speed when entering a corner more effective.

I do not plan on buying brakes from any other manufacture.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

whistler
    Mar 2004

mega's

i've had mega's on my knolly delerium since the spring.
    200 front, 160 rear.
    have only good things to say - quiet, powerful, nice lever feel.
    have had zero issues, i'm real happy overall.

have previously used juicy's, code's, xt's (new and old), louise's (new and old), saints (old), hayes mag and stroker, and formula bianco's.

mega's have similar powerful to the new louise's, somewhere between juicy and code, but lighter than all of these.
    they are slightly heavier than bianco's, but a fair bit more powerful.

if i could do it again, i'd go for the one's just for looks!