Cars Are Evil

Any hydros w/ adjustable pad position?

I really like being able to adjust the individual position of the pads on my BB7s to get the best braking with no rub. But I want more power. Are there any hydros that let you adjust the pads individually? Preferably 4-piston, no squealing, and great performance in the wet.

No. You can get the various levers with a contact point adjustment (Avid calls theirs pad contact point adjustment, but doesn't actually move the pads, just the point at which the lever "bites"). BB7s kick ass in this regard.

ps There are levers (for your BB7s) that give you some leverage adjustment, which can give you more adjustment than levers that don't have this (Avid calls this the "speed dial" adjustment, a bit different with some Shimano levers).
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 03-23-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As Bikin' said - no, but some brakes have a larger gap between the pads and the rotor than others.

I've found that Avid Juicy 7's are ok but don't have the largest gap, Hayes Stroker Trails are worse with a very small gap, while the Shimano M775 XTs and Magura Louise BATs have a large gap between pads/rotor. Those brakes with the smaller gap can make it difficult to get things rub free especially in wet/muddy conditions.

Both the XTs and the Louise BATs have a "free-stroke" adjustment and a "bite" adjustment respectively which adjusts, as bikin' said above, the point in the stroke where the lever actuates the pistons. This together with the larger gap between pads and rotor makes life a bit easier to get things rub free and still get good lever feel.

I can't comment on Hope or Formula brakes with regard to pad/rotor gap or bite adjustment.

Your options of 4-pot brakes with these features are a bit limited though.

Underskilled
    Formula lets has a contact point adjuster, but it is useless, avoid.

The brakes are fantastic, but the adjustor is a gimic.

Meh.
    Old closed system hydros like the Hope with the round MC that you could turn could adjust pad position. However, the pads also could not compensate for fluid expansion or pad wear.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Formula lets has a contact point adjuster, but it is useless, avoid.

The brakes are fantastic, but the adjustor is a gimic.
    It doesn't do much but I can feel a slight difference.
    BTW the FCS isn't present on new generation Formula brakes.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tecnically you could say all current hydros have some form of adjustable pad position.....but it is automatic and accounts for pad wear, not for personal preference.

Shimano brakes seem to have the largest gap b/w rotor and pad, and my Avids also seem to do quite well here (though not sure on others experience). Formula is not the one to go for in this regard.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Hayes soles have adjustable pad position on both side. They are terrible brakes.

Tim

Cars Are Evil
    Let's bring this up again. I can't use Shimano or Magura because they use mineral oil which has problems in cold temps.