mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Any EBC gold users out there?

I'm getting black buildup on my rotor and black soot filled in the calipers when I take them apart. I've tried the normal bed in process 2-3 times after sanding and cleaning (not easy to get it off the rotor).

They have good bite with nice gritty sound at first (better stopping power than avid pads) but then they seem to burn up, any extended riding and they just have no power.. does bed in process take a little longer with these?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    I'm getting black buildup on my rotor and black soot filled in the calipers when I take them apart. I've tried the normal bed in process 2-3 times after sanding and cleaning (not easy to get it off the rotor).

They have good bite with nice gritty sound at first (better stopping power than avid pads) but then they seem to burn up, any extended riding and they just have no power.. does bed in process take a little longer with these?
    Never seen that with BB7s and EBC Golds. My rotors stay clean and have long pad life.

Did you clean the rotors before installing the new pads? Could be to old pad material on the rotors is not playing well with the new pad compound.

Remove the rotors and use 800 grit emery paper and lots of water.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Never seen that with BB7s and EBC Golds. My rotors stay clean and have long pad life.

Did you clean the rotors before installing the new pads? Could be to old pad material on the rotors is not playing well with the new pad compound.

Remove the rotors and use 800 grit emery paper and lots of water.
    I did. And each time I sand the pad and rotor down (180mm 1 piece formula spaced perfect) and clean with isopropyl alcohol. This last time I put a torch the back side of the pad @ a minute, no smoke came off so don't think they're contaminated.. unless I didn't cook them for long enough.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    I did. And each time I sand the pad and rotor down (180mm 1 piece formula spaced perfect) and clean with isopropyl alcohol. This last time I put a torch the back side of the pad @ a minute, no smoke came off so don't think they're contaminated.. unless I didn't cook them for long enough.
    I have never sanded or heated a pad in 10+ years.

Always felt alcohol left a film on the rotors, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have never sanded or heated a pad in 10+ years.

Always felt alcohol left a film on the rotors, too.
    Yeah I've never had to mess with new pads this much. The initial bite is impressive though, think I'll save these for later when I need a new rotor

What rotors do you use? Have you noticed any overheating on extended/high speed rides?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is it possible the rotors are still too rough after the sanding and causing the pads to get eaten up pretty badly right away(which would still leave good stopping at first and perhaps the gritty sound?) until the pores get filled with the pad dust, leaving them less effective? Just a random thought trying to help you figure it out.