mtbr member

Any big performance difference between Shimano M446 and Deore M596 hydro brakes?

Got a Cannondale Bad Boy 5 that comes with Shimano M446 hydraulic brakes. I have a set of new Shimano Deore M596 hydraulic brakes. The calipers look almost identical but the levers between the two are noticeable different. For one, the Deore has the hinge clamp and the levers are jutted forward. I got the Deore around April in anticipation of getting the Bad Boy 9 with cheap Tektro mechs. I ended up with the BB5, so now I'm deciding if I should swap out the M446 for Deore M596. I guess I want to know is the swap worth the time and effort? The M446 seems to be good, and I don't want to mess the adjustment up if putting in the Deore isn't going to make much of a difference.

How easy is it to install Shimano hydros and adjust them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well I haven't ridden any of these brakes but from what I've read it seems like the Deore is a step up from Alivio (M446) in modulation and braking power. It's probably not worth buying a set of Deores if you already have the 446s. I know this reply isn't what you were looking for but nobody else answered your question so I took a shot

mtbr member
    Thank you for taking pity on my thread.

Just a clarification, I already have a set of Deore M596 hydros and just wanted to know if it was worth the hassle of swapping out the Alivio ones for these.