Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Answered: Please ignore thread. Replace brakes or new bike?

714 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JonathanD 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I have been riding my Giant Yukon for 2 years now. I like the bike in general.

The Hayes GX2 (non hydrolic) disc brakes often rub, squeal in wet and dry conditions, and in general suck.

Is it worth spending the $200-$300 upgrading them on a bike that cost $380 to start with?

Or should I just save money and replace the bike?

Is there a general price range where bikes get good components.

I ride few trails, mainly a commuter, some jumps (5ft, nothing big).

Thank you for your time.
Jonathan

#2 ·
JonathanD said:
Hello all.

I have been riding my Giant Yukon for 2 years now. I like the bike in general.

The Avid (non hydrolic) disc brakes often rub, squeal in wet and dry conditions, and in general suck.

Is it worth spending the $200-$300 upgrading them on a bike that cost $380 to start with?

Or should I just save money and replace the bike?

Is there a general price range where bikes get good components.

I ride few trails, mainly a commuter, some jumps (5ft, nothing big).

Thank you for your time.
Jonathan
Hi Johnatan.

About replacing your discs, well, you should know how much you like your bike or not. Or how important braking is towards judging a bike.

I don't know if your problem with the brakes are adjustment, or they just suck. As far as I've heard, Avid makes the best mechanical brakes out there, and it could just be a bad adjustment out there.

Going for another bike that would have better brakes than you currently have it's not going to be cheap. I don't really know street prices out there, but probably you would have to pay more than 600 bucks or so for a bike with hydros.

Well, just some thoughts.

#3 ·
if your only complaint with the bike is the brakes i would take them to a shop and let them have a go at getting them working right. the avid mech. brakes are usually bullet proff so im sure its something simple like contaminated pads, missadjustment or something like that.

If you wanna upgrade to a new bike regardless of how nice or how many bikes you currently own it is always a good idea to buy more bike stuff. If your really getting into trail riding id look into a decent full suspension bike and keep the yukon as a commuter. Giants trance and trance x are both awesome fairly inexpensive all around bikes you could check into

#4 ·
Look into switching the rotors out for these:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16...Disc/Alligator-Serration-Disc-Brake-Rotor.htm

You might consider getting an adapter for your fork and running a 180mm on the front and 160mm on the back. I've read up on disc brakes in general and the reviews of that rotor paired with Avid mech brakes is really good. Switch out the pads (read up on here about the different types of pads) and you'll have yourself a nice set of brakes.

I wouldn't ditch your bike unless there are other things you don't like about it. If it's only the brakes, that shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

What levers do you have?

I just got done pricing bikes out and through online shops you can get a bike with nice components in the 600-800 range, however you still won't be getting good hydraulic brakes, most shops put the Avid bb5 and bb7 mech brakes on those bikes.

You could always buy a pair of good hydros and put them on your bike and if you ever get a new bike replace the brakes on your new bike.

Good luck with your decision,
-Ron

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks.
I have taken the bike to the 2 shops in town. And all 4 (yes 4;) ) times they have gone to crap the next week.

I just realized that I got confuse. I have Hayes GX2 brakes. Another problem is that the pad that moves is too far out and I can not back it away from the disc as far as I would like. And the pad that stays still moves away from the disc when I brake so that what was once a 1/16" gap is a 1/8" gap 2 stops later.

Thanks
Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.