mtbr member

another what brake question?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm not getting the the answer I want.
    I just built a bike for my son with some of my old parts, so I'm getting new brakes for me.
    I had BB7s and love them.I'm real close to going back with the bb7, can't beat the price. I'm also looking at elixer, shimano xt. I'm also on a tight budget.
    Any help?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had Avid BBDB's and Shimano XT 775's. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance of the XT's. Lever feel and modulation is phenomenal. Only thing is, if you're going to service your own brakes, there's going to be a bit of a learning curve for hydros vs mechanicals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What answer are you looking for?...

That one is better than the other? My personal preference is for the BB7s. They perform as well as any other brake out there, they're just different. Mechanical brakes feel like mechanical brakes, hydros feel like hydros. And it is quite a different feel. Since you've had bb7s I don't have to expound their virtues. You already know.

Both the Elixir and the XT are excellent hydros. They both perform very well. Great modulation, stopping power, and both are easily user serviceable. As lyndochen noted, there is a bit of a learning curve though. But once you get through it, hydros are realatively easy to service. The only real draw back to the XTs are the use of mineral oil as brake fluid if you ride in cold weather. When things get much below 30 degrees the brakes can become quite slugish due to the oil thinckening. The other draw back is you have to purchase the rotor and adapter seperate for the XT brakes. Plus one for Avid, they come with the rotors and adapters. Another plus for the Avids, you already know how to set up the BBs, the Elixirs aren't any different for the most part. The only obvious difference is the lack of adjustment knobs for pad distance, so you don't have to fiddle with that. As for budget, the BB7s will be the cheapest, but you know that. XT's will run you around $225 for just the caliper and master cylinder (line included and pre-bled). The Elixir CR will run you about $205 with all necessary stuff to include the rotor and adapter.

I don't know what else to tell you. You didn't really ask a specific question. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your three choices. They are all good brakes, and will perform well. Your choice. If you are in a mood to try hydros, take your pick! If you are wanting to go with what you know, then stick with the BB's. They haven't changed much from the BBDBs.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    As for budget, the BB7s will be the cheapest, but you know that. XT's will run you around $225 for just the caliper and master cylinder (line included and pre-bled). The Elixir CR will run you about $205 with all necessary stuff to include the rotor and adapter.

Good Dirt

$205 for a set (front & rear) of Elixir CR's??? Where can I find that deal? The cheapest I've seen is $299 for a set of Elixir CR's.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply,
    I guess when I talk to friends, everyone tells me go hydro. I like the bb and tend to run my brakes different from most peeps. I set my levers up so they are very loose, to lock up you would have to pull them to the bars. I'm looking at a set of xt for 165.00 with everything but the rotors. I was going to use a set of avid disc with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    To expand on the XT cold weather issue: I had a problem with sticky pistons with my first set of calipers, which I believe were early run 775's. The problem wasn't the mineral oil, but the piston seals that Shimano used. When Shimano became aware of the problem, they revised the seals. My newer XT caliper, and 2 sets of SLX brakes (which have a very similar design to the XT's), have not exhibited the sticky piston issue, even in sub-zero weather. That first set of calipers did give me quite a bit of heartburn however, I ride all-year round and they were quite the pita in the winter.

Off the back...
    Instead of XT, go with SLX. Very similar performance, less $$$... As the years go by, I am less impressed with Avid disc brakes...

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailfreak
    Thanks for the reply,
    I guess when I talk to friends, everyone tells me go hydro. I like the bb and tend to run my brakes different from most peeps. I set my levers up so they are very loose, to lock up you would have to pull them to the bars. I'm looking at a set of xt for 165.00 with everything but the rotors. I was going to use a set of avid disc with them.
    Please tell me where I can buy an XT brakeset for $165? Where are all these deals, I can never find them on my own?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Pricepoint.com XT 164.00

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailfreak
    Pricepoint.com XT 164.00
    I don't know where you're looking but I see $329.98 for a set (front and rear) of XT M775 brakes on Pricepoint.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    He's looking at the f&r set of 765's (last gen XT) here: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...ake-System.htm

mtbr member