mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another squeal question

After doing a search here, I didn't find an answer to my question. I have Shimano BR-M415 mechanical disc brakes and they squeal like crazy only when they are wet. And when I say squeal, I mean it would be like having non toed in brake pads on V brakes.

Since this is my winter commuting bike, the disks are wet all the time. Now that is is spring and the rain has begun, the noise continues. When it is dry out the brakes work perfect and are silent.

Most of what I read here is clean your disk and pads, but I don't think that is the issue when they are wet but maybe I am wrong. If I go through a puddle and they get wet they squeal. Once the water is off the disk from use, they are great but it is the days that is constantly pours and they never have time to dry off. Any solutions? Is this something I am going to have to live with?

Mr. Staypuft
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe this is due to your pads trying to grip the wet surface & vibrating. This vibration then resonates through your entire bike & thus produces that pleasant squealing sound. I'm on my 2nd bike with discs & both squeal when the discs are wet

~Disc~Golf~
    It's just resonant frequency vibrations (like a wet finger on a wine glass) and is normal when wet
    Honestly... ahh I give up