SSasquatch

Another reason to go to disc brakes

I was a disc brake holdout for many years and didn't put a disc brake on my bike until last year (only one on the front). I kept my v-brake on the rear because I feel that I didn't really need to spend more money on something that already worked, but I had to admit that the disc up front increased my stopping power tenfold.
    So the last few rides have been in varying amounts of snow and ice and I noticed that the rear end felt abit squirly in the tight stuff. I chalked it up to the ruts in the snow and ice and didn't think much about it until I was finishing up a ride the other day and realized that my rim was WAY out of true and was hitting my vbrake. I took the wheel off to true it and found that the rim was split along the brake surface almost all the way around. No wonder the rear end felt squirrly. New England riding is really tough on rims with traditional brakes. Lots of mud in the spring and summer and mud, snow, and ice in the winter combine to make a very abrasive slurry that ruins rims with v/canti brakes.
    Time to upgrade to disc all around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freshly Fujified

Could have been worse

Glad to see the rim didn't completely fail you. That could have been disastrous and painful.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

wot no bike?
    That's crazy! How's the other side look?

-pete

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    That's crazy! How's the other side look?
    -pete
    Other side is the same. With the exception of about 6 inches, the entire rim is in 2 pieces (like a rim within a rim).

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by galleywench
    I was a disc brake holdout for many years and didn't put a disc brake on my bike until last year (only one on the front). I kept my v-brake on the rear because I feel that I didn't really need to spend more money on something that already worked, but I had to admit that the disc up front increased my stopping power tenfold.
    So the last few rides have been in varying amounts of snow and ice and I noticed that the rear end felt abit squirly in the tight stuff. I chalked it up to the ruts in the snow and ice and didn't think much about it until I was finishing up a ride the other day and realized that my rim was WAY out of true and was hitting my vbrake. I took the wheel off to true it and found that the rim was split along the brake surface almost all the way around. No wonder the rear end felt squirrly. New England riding is really tough on rims with traditional brakes. Lots of mud in the spring and summer and mud, snow, and ice in the winter combine to make a very abrasive slurry that ruins rims with v/canti brakes.
    Time to upgrade to disc all around.
    Let me guess your holding off on buying a cell phone as well? Welcome to the twentieth century........ Glad your ok, that could have been ugly.

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Let me guess your holding off on buying a cell phone as well?
    No way man, I picked this baby up the other day. I think it will fit nicely in my water bottle holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow.. glad you found it on time.. now go get some discs!

...idios...
    "No way man, I picked this baby up the other day"

That's one hairy baby!! What's that thing it's holding?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Just hit it with speed
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "No way man, I picked this baby up the other day"

That's one hairy baby!! What's that thing it's holding?
    I don't often laugh out loud when reading a post but that was pretty hillarous
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!