mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Another Magura brake dragging question

I've got a Magura Marta mounted up front, PM and 160 mm rotor. The front brake has been dragging. I tried "mobilizing" the brake like Magura says and have also tried adjusting the caliper by loosening the bolts, squeezing the brake lever and then tightening the bolts back up but that hasn't fixed the problem. As a matter of fact that made the problem worse. There also aren't any washers between the caliper and the PM. What should I try next? I have also tried adjusting the skewer and the tension on the skewer, and checked my spokes. That doesn't seem to be a problem and I doubt the rotor is bent since I haven't done anything in the last few days that would have bent the rotor.

mtbr member
    Maybe the pistons are binding a bit?

mtbr member
    Is this a brake that has been in use for a while or a newly mounted brake? Try starting all over again: Makes sure the rotor is true; if not, true it. Next, take the wheel off, carefully push the pads in to fully retract the pistons; put the wheel back on and give it a spin to see what happens. If you still have drag, then back off the caliper bolts and do the lever squeeze thing. If you still have drag, then back them off again, eyeball the rotor to center between pads holding the caliper down flush with the mounting area and when you have it just right then squeeze the lever hard and tighten the bolts. If there is still drag then consider: if slight drag, then it will probably go away after a few hard stops. If a little more drag than seems right for a new mounting, then where the rotor hits the pad, push the rotor slightly against the contact point to push that pad back in a bit. Just don't bend your rotor. The full story:

1. Grab the rotor (use a clean rag so oil from your hands does not get on your rotor) and flex it slightly toward/against the pad that is rubbing.

2. Keep the rotor in that position while you (or even better someone else) pumps the lever a couple of times. You need to make sure you have a firm grasp on the rotor.

3. Let go of the rotor and check the pad position. The pads should now be centered over your rotor position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Damn brake! Yesterday morning I went back into my garage and got it centered up on the first try. We'll see how it works this afternoon while everybody else is glued to the Superbowl.