mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another HFX9 Problem

Yes, something else has managed to break. I need to stop being lazy and pro-deal a set of Mags from Hayes. Anyways, I not-so-gently laid the bike down on it's side (non drive side) and when I pick the bike back up, the front lever has no power. Goes all the way to the bar, with the pads moving only a tiny bit. The lever didn't hit the ground or anything. So, I bleed it, perfect bleed with no air and clean fluid and still no power. Then, I take the master cylinder off, take the caliper apart and still everything looks fine. So, then I bleed it AGAIN, and it's still a great bleed. Still no power and not much piston movement. There are no fluid leaks, and no broken lines. One interesting thing. When this occured, I had my friend's Monster T mounted on my bike with a very tall stem, which meant the brake hose had very little slack in it. Is it possible that the hose could have been pulled or crimped, causing the brake fluid to not be able to transmit the force? Anyways any other suggestions would help. I work at a shop so any parts are readily available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Update....

for the many people reading this Anyways I took out the master piston and inspected the seals and look what i found:

A lovely gouge in the seal. Also, when I was pumping the lever before in a failed attempt the fix the brake, I heard a quiet bubbling sound from the caliper. I believe the seal between the piston and the caliper may have somehow been broken. This happen to anyone before? I will try ordering some lever guts and see if that will fix them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So did the gouge cause fluid to leak out of the master cylinder, or just pass through the seal but still be contained in the assembly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah the fluid stayed in the caliper, which explains the pitifully small piston movement since all the fluid displaced by the piston was going behind the piston. Fortunately, I just picked up a Mag brake from a friend for $30, so I will take my time fixing the HFX.

just along for the ride
    Yes hoses are stronger than fittings under load and can tweak/crimp things. Picture looks like a tweak chip, was there damage on the levers?. Hope the new brakes work out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    actually there was no damage from me putting the brake down. however, about 2 months before, I crashed and popped that little rod out of the lever while bending the blade in the process. Maybe that stressed it. Either way, I have a Mag front brake now so I am a happy man.