mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Another Brake Advice Queston...

This has probably been asked a thousand times over and those of you who know what you are doing are probably tired of responding but here I go.

Have the Avid Juicy 7 - Ulitimate, one season old, pads were worn, pretty much to the end.

Had a hell of a time removing the old pads...

Ok go to install new set of pads, the pistons are not flush with the facing. Here's where my dumb questions kick in..

I used to have Hayes Nines and the pads were easy to change out, one at a time. The Avids have a thin metal peice that appears to sit around the top edge of the pads. This to me means that you install the pads together in one shot - right or wrong?

Anyway - ths isnt gonna happen - no room. After sometime I manage to get the pistons somewhat retracted using a putty knife and a screwdriver. I see notes that you lube the pistons - dumb question - with what just normal lube or brake cleaner plus lube?

Anyway no way are two pads going in at the same time.. finally I get one in and then lucky the other - however new problem. The thin metal bracket/piece doesnt know sit that well on the edge of the pads and is bent, when the rotor is installed it hits the metal bracket plus rubs like hell. Ok remove wheel again, bend bracket as best I can, re-install wheel.

Try to adjust allen screws but who I am kidding , the wheel moves but I might as well be riding with the brakes on.

Other than taking it into the bike shop - no clue what I can do further.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    did you unscrew the adjuster? all the way out

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You mean the contact point adjuster on the lever - didnt think that would effect pad placement more lever action.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    You mean the contact point adjuster on the lever - didnt think that would effect pad placement more lever action.
    No , some models have a inboard pad adjuster knob on the caliper

check the instructions here
    http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=1

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    No , some models have a inboard pad adjuster knob on the caliper[/url]
    Juicy 7's are hydraulic and do not have an inboard pad adjuster.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Juicy 7's are hydraulic and do not have an inboard pad adjuster.
    wasnt sure if the older versions did or didnt, in their pdf it clearly shows a hydraulic line
    on the caliper and an adjuster
    http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=1

under general instructions
    disk brake pad installation instructions