mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Annoying rotor drag......????

I have a set of 2012 XT brakes which I love, but I have been getting some annoying rotor drag on my rear wheel.

I have re-centered the caliper such that it does not rub when the bike is on the repair stand, but when i ride i can hear a "squeek, squeek, squeek" as the pads rub on the rotor.

The rotor appears to be true and as I said the caliper is centered.

Any ideas?

Is there maybe a pad clearance adjustment on these brakes that i need to adjust?

thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    you should check that the hub is sitting square or maybe isnt the pads but the caliper

Chamois Dropper
    Possibly a piston hanging up. Look to see if the pistons have both fully retracted once the noise starts. I have '12 XTs as well and they have been trouble free, but I have had this issue with other brakes.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    and it only happens (or only can be heard at least) when I am coasting without pedaling. I will check the wheels alignment and tightness of my rear skewer too

Matt

mtbr member
    If it is only at a certain speed you can have a rotor resonating due to tire tread vibration. Above or below it won't happen. Only solution I've found for that is to increase the spring spread force(on deore 525 hydro) or use a pad adhesive such as disc brake quiet, albeit sparingly. It keeps the pads from vibrating toward the rotor and helps have more clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hub bearings are loose?

mtbr member
    Agree, either hub or skewer issue - if not present when on the bike stand, but there when body weight is added. Even rarer could be a frame flex issue.