mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Annoying brake noise only when riding

I've been having a ridiculously frustrating issue with my brakes since bought my Specialized Carve Comp a few months back (for reference we've since moved so I don't have any relationship with the bike store that sold me the bike).

The rear brake is insanely noisy. It makes a periodic rubbing noise that sounds like metal on metal (higher sounding than the normal brake applied noise).

Only my rear brake is making any noise, the front one seems fine. And the behavior is "odd". They don't make any noise if I put them up on a bike repair stand and spin the tire. But the moment I get on the bike it's noise galore. Further if I apply just a slight pressure to the rear brake leaver (not enough to engage the brake) then the sound goes away completely.

Based on previous advice I've tried adjusting the alignment (by loosening the mounts and clamping the brake and re-tightening), reseating the wheel in the dropouts, and tightening the quick release. Nothing has seemed to get rid of it.

Should I just consider this my normal or is there something wrong? I've taken it to a LBS near me a couple times now. Once they said the rotor was bent a little (they straightened it). It seemed quiet for about 5min of riding, but the first serious application of the brakes and the noise was back as loud as ever. I rode with it as is for several weeks, but it seemed like it was getting worse so I took it in. They claimed the QR wasn't tightened enough. Rode it around the parking lot and it was a lot quieter (not silent at all, but better), but now I had a weird sound like it had been over tightened or something. Left it alone, two rides later the overtightened noise is gone, but in it's place the brakes are back to the same old noisy.

The sound comes and goes, sometimes it's basically silent. Othertimes it's so loud I get funny looks from people. There doesn't seem to to a ton of resistance or anything. It's just extremely annoying and I'm getting quite frustrated that I can't get it resolved or a good answer from the LBS.

This is a pretty much new 2012 Specialized Comp Carve 29. Brakes are Shimano BR-M446 hydraulics. The bike has maybe 300miles on it over the past 2.5 months. There is very little play in the brakes and they feel extremely solid once engaged.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by druidjaidan View Post
    I've been having a ridiculously frustrating issue with my brakes since bought my Specialized Carve Comp a few months back (for reference we've since moved so I don't have any relationship with the bike store that sold me the bike).

The rear brake is insanely noisy. It makes a periodic rubbing noise that sounds like metal on metal (higher sounding than the normal brake applied noise).

Only my rear brake is making any noise, the front one seems fine. And the behavior is "odd". They don't make any noise if I put them up on a bike repair stand and spin the tire. But the moment I get on the bike it's noise galore. Further if I apply just a slight pressure to the rear brake leaver (not enough to engage the brake) then the sound goes away completely.

Based on previous advice I've tried adjusting the alignment (by loosening the mounts and clamping the brake and re-tightening), reseating the wheel in the dropouts, and tightening the quick release. Nothing has seemed to get rid of it.

Should I just consider this my normal or is there something wrong? I've taken it to a LBS near me a couple times now. Once they said the rotor was bent a little (they straightened it). It seemed quiet for about 5min of riding, but the first serious application of the brakes and the noise was back as loud as ever. I rode with it as is for several weeks, but it seemed like it was getting worse so I took it in. They claimed the QR wasn't tightened enough. Rode it around the parking lot and it was a lot quieter (not silent at all, but better), but now I had a weird sound like it had been over tightened or something. Left it alone, two rides later the overtightened noise is gone, but in it's place the brakes are back to the same old noisy.

The sound comes and goes, sometimes it's basically silent. Othertimes it's so loud I get funny looks from people. There doesn't seem to to a ton of resistance or anything. It's just extremely annoying and I'm getting quite frustrated that I can't get it resolved or a good answer from the LBS.

This is a pretty much new 2012 Specialized Comp Carve 29. Brakes are Shimano BR-M446 hydraulics. The bike has maybe 300miles on it over the past 2.5 months. There is very little play in the brakes and they feel extremely solid once engaged.
    Check for a sticky piston....

Re align calipers....square and true with rotors...(don't use the clamp and tighten method.

Is there any sign of oil around the caliper?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If it happens only while riding I would:
    1) Check preload on your hub bearings
    2) Check you pivot bolts
    3) If that doesn't do it, check from crack on the welds of your rear triangle

FKA Malibu412
    I'd just leave it parked if it only happens while riding.

Kidding. Does the wheel act as if the brake is dragging even though no brake is applied when it makes the noise? If so, it's an adjustment/rotor/piston issue. It could be air in the brake line and the intermittent noise is due to the fact that air will expand at different rates based on temp and/or whether or not the brake is hot or cold. Maybe it needs a bleed.
    Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 09-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    If it happens only while riding I would:
    2) Check you pivot bolts
    It's a hard tail.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Weird. Does it come and go with any pattern?

mtbr member
    The noise happens when you're not pulling the brake lever?

You know, for grins, you could just remove your rear rotor, or rear caliper, and go on a test-ride without any rear brake. Maybe the noise is really from your hub or something.

no trees are safe
    Is your axle straight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I took the bike to a different LBS. The new one instantly said that the rotor was too far out of true to be acceptable (despite the previous one saying it was fine...).

They said the disappearance of noise was caused because by slightly applying the break the pad that was making contact made constant very light contact (removing the ringing noise that was loudest). They re trued the rotor and the sound seems gone for now, going on a long ride today so we'll see if it stays good for the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm curious to see where this goes. I have the same or similar problem on my bike; I'm getting a chirping-like sound when riding using BB7s. I've tried all the same remedies you described as well as sanding and alcohol cleaning. I haven't brought my bike into the LBS yet so I'd like to hear about your outcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am having this same problem on my bike. They are el cheapo Tektro Novela cable actuated. My rear makes a loud noise when I coast or stand on the pedals without pedaling, but goes away when I pedal (usually, sometime it still makes the noise). Applying a light pressure to the lever eliminated the noise. I put the bike on a stand and ran the wheel, looking for a space between each the caliper/pad and rotor and there seemed to be no contact throughout the diameter of the rotor. The rear brakes also squeal when I apply them sharply, which is fine because I mostly use the front. But the noise is pretty loud and very annoying.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I think it's something with to dropouts - make sure everything us tight in the frame, hub, QR. If you have a bent rotor get a new one. You may also need to let just a but of fluid out of the line - or rebleed with 0.5mm extra thick spacer so pads are further apart than standard spacer - this should give more leeway for rotor. Even if pads contact rotor, should not squeak - so I suspect contamination especially with all the handling. Clean brakes with alcohol or brake cleaner. Hope something works Good Luck.
    M