Old,slow,still havin fun.

Ancient Altus brake lever question

I'm trying to get a friend's oooold (1995?) Trek Antelope bike back on the road. I am replacing the shifter, and I need to remove the brake lever assembly. And I cannot figure out how!

The entire brake lever assembly is underneath a plastic shroud which looks impossible to remove. There are no visible bolts or screws holding the lever assembly to the bar. the only visible screw is the adjustment screw next to the cable. The mount is labeled "M System".

The assembly looks something like this:

Any suggestions on how to non-destructively remove the brake assembly? It doesn't even look like the hood/sheath comes off to replace the cable. WTF? I could find nothing in the Zinn book or Sheldon pages.

I must be missing something obvious, I'd love to know what it is!

I think I now know why the local shops didn't want to deal with her bike.

Thanks in advance!

Better pics (smaller) of actual brake housing...

mtbr member
    Is there a slot molded into the lever for the brake cable head (on the underside from what you've got pictured)?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    wait, misunderstood question!
    hrm, perhaps there's a screw for that band inside the hood, that you access by opening up the lever all the way. ie- disengage the brake cable, peer inside the hood from that direction... I haven't run across one like this.
    Last edited by logbiter; 08-16-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarity
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Some old MTB levers use a pinch bolt similar to road levers to attach to the bar. Once you remove the brake cable, squeeze the lever and look straight inside where the lever pivots away from the housing, there should be a 5mm allen bolt you can reach through there when the lever is squeezed.

Once you remove the brake cable, squeeze the lever and look straight inside where the lever pivots away from the housing
    Bingo! Thanks, didn't think to look in there!

I was puzzled anyway about the cable because there isn't even a slot on the front to remove it as there was on my first mtn bike way back when.

Many thanks!!!