Thread: Am I screwed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Am I screwed?

Please help a noob out. I have Shimano BR-M485 hydraulic brakes. The rear was squishy, so I tried to bleed them. Now I know why they were squishy. The caliper part that the bleed nipple screws into is stripped Is there any fix for this? Tap and bigger nipple? I can't find any info on this. Any ideas? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork44 View Post
    Please help a noob out. I have Shimano BR-M485 hydraulic brakes. The rear was squishy, so I tried to bleed them. Now I know why they were squishy. The caliper part that the bleed nipple screws into is stripped Is there any fix for this? Tap and bigger nipple? I can't find any info on this. Any ideas? Thanks
    You could drill and tap a new larger thread and then you'd need to find a suitable nipple. You could also helicoil it to get it back to the original thread size. However, this will not be easy because the bleed hole is a blind hole (with a little hole at the bottom) so its hard to get a tap or helicoil right down the bottom (unless you've got a suitable blind tap).

BUT, the M485's are pretty cheap to replace and shimano sells the whole caliper as a spare part. eg. a M575 caliper is $40 from CRC. With a bit of searching you can probably get a M485 caliper for less.

Your other alternative is to get a complete replacement brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the reply. After a little investigating, I don't think I can repair this. I will either replace the caliper, or get new brakes. Thanks