Thread: Am I screwed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Am I screwed?

My brakes worked fine yesterday but on my ride today they were squeaking and would barely stop. I took the wheel off to investigate and it smells like WD-40. Before I get crap for it, I did not do it. I learned a long time ago not to spray that anywhere near my brakes. It is stored in a bike rack because I am at school. I would like to know if there is a way to make them work again(both the rotor and pads) or if I will have to replace them. I tried just wiping the rotor off, but I have nothing with my that will clean better than just a towel. I can get some stuff, but I do not know what to get. Can someone please help me out? I am afraid to keep doing any serious riding until i get it fixed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had a bunch of mag-chloride on my rotors (bike on rack in wet snowy weather for several hundred miles). I used Simple Green. Just sprayed the rotor, wiped it off and it was fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Clean em

You need Isopropyl Alcohol, to thoroughly clean the rotors. The pads as long as you didn't run them long can possibly be saved. Try and clean as best you can with the alcohol, I read on the site people who have suggested baking them in the oven for a while to evaporate the residual oil off. You may want to scuff them with some emery cloth after they cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks

That's great. I'm happy that I may be able to save them. And thanks for the quick response. Thanks again

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    don't bake them in the oven unless you want to really smell up your house and fill it with smoke
    take it outside, hold them with pliers and use a torch, candle or lighter. They will probably catch on fire but once the fluid burns off they're done, let them cool , scuff sand them and clean the rotors with alcohol