mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Am I the only one who rides crappy brakes?

So I have a problem, and I'm coming to terms with it. Mainly out of frustration.

I've been riding various different sets of used brakes for a while, in an effort to save money and I'm just having more trouble than it's probably worth.

I've got 3 bikes that I'm trying to keep running and I've been moving a lot of parts around, and I'm not super picky about my brakes, I just want them to work.

On my FS, I have a set of second hand Juicy 7, that work well enough, but require readjusting the caliper pretty much every time I breathe.

On my old hardtail, I was using a set of Tektro Aurigas that the front is fine, but the rear could use a little more grunt.

And on my new build, I dug an old Juicy 5 rear out of the parts bin, and was AMAZED at the power out back, only to find out that the pads don't retract quite far enough to get away from the rotor and not squeak.

Basically, my question is: Am I the only one who has a problem tossing out $300 for a good set of new hydraulics? I don't ask for much, I just want them to work consistently, but I'm afraid my Juicys are just about done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    When you buy used brakes, you're likely buying other peoples problems.

Chances are, a good rebuild will get rid of sticky pistons and get the pads/pistons to properly retract. That may also be the problem with the ones that need adjusting after every ride. The catch is that the rebuild kits are on the pricey side.

You will have to decide for yourself if you will rebuild, buy new or tolerate the situation as it is.

Class Clown
    just get some bb7's

mtbr member
    Rebuilds generally fix the problem, IME. However, they can be pricey. But it depends on whether you want to keep them going for as long as possible, or just give in and get new brakes that will work.

Threading freely...
    Brakes and tires seem important to me, as they are what stops me and keeps me on the trail. I don't like to get used stuff there as it may be buying someone else's problems, and failure can be detrimental.

Right now you can get a set of Magura Louise BAT 160/180 with rotors and mounting hardware for $200 on Chainlove. You've got a 5 year warranty on those, and German manufacturing peace of mind.

mtbr member extraordinair
    what dundundata said
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    just get some bb7's
    ^^ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!