mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Alternatives to Elixir Pads?

Curious if anyone finds that they go through Elixir pads faster than other brake pads you've used. Mine now last less than two months in dry weather. And yes, I am using the semi metallic ones.

These brakes perform quite well, but the short pad life is a drag (pun intended). Of course, I am riding a larger bike now (my first 29" FS bike), but it is no heavier than other rigs I've had. I have not gained weight (honest :-)

Thinking about trying another brand/model pads. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My LBS has been trying to get me to use the Swiss Stop pads for a while now. They claim they have had very good results, especially with people having noise issues.

I, however, cannot comment on the life expectancy against Elixir pads.

psycho cyclo addict
    I had very good luck with the Elixir sintered pads (I never had noise issues) they lasted ~1 year and weren't new when I got them. Tried organics and wasted them in ~3 months. Went back to sintered Avid's and so far they are holding up like the 1st set. Kool Stop's are supposed to be good according to some of my cronies... I haven't tried them myself. http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Elixir-Br.../dp/B0040DPG9I

Fat-tired Roadie
    What rotor are you using?

Are you doing the weird little break-in ritual?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Have used Avid, Jagwire and Brakepoint Authority pads with good results. All have lasted well.

Are you sure that you are not using the brakes more often with the newer bike?

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm using Avid cleansweep g2's. No break-in ritual (beyond expanding the pistons all the way flush with the caliper, installing the new pads and cleaning the rotors with brakekleen). I just installed sintered rears the other day. 1st few miles the new brakes are not super responsive after some light/moderate braking they were good to go.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Just tossing this out there:

Kool-Stop Red's. I got them on my Elixir 5's, and they stop harder now and don't squeal. I love it.

For $20, they're a bargain IMO. I highly recommend them.

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been using the SwissStop pads for about 6 months now with no complaints.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Elixir Pad comparo

I run Elixir CR (8" front, 7" rear rotors) on my AM bike with good results using the Brake Authority "Aggressive" compound pads. Good bite, good modulation with very little fade. I've ridden them at Downieville, Northstar and my local trails.

I also rode the Kool-Stop pads for a long time and liked them better than Avid stock sintered or organic but this compound Braek Authority may have a bit more bite and little less fade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is there a good site to buy pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    disco brakes has a ton of stuff, ceramic, semi, sinstered, etc, good prices too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ring_basher View Post
    disco brakes has a ton of stuff, ceramic, semi, sinstered, etc, good prices too.
    i like the semi metalic best and they are 8 bux a pair

DiscoBrakes.Com :: Shop :: Disc Pads :: Avid :: Elixir :: OBE-DA04SG

Afric Pepperbird
    I've had excellent luck, too, with the Avid sintered pads. They last a good, long time; much longer than the Kool Stop Elixir pads that I bought last summer

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    I had Elixir 5's, with G3 CleanSweep. Replaced pads once within six months with factory Avid sintered. Shortly afterward, I replaced with these......Shimano XT BR-M785 Disc Brake - Bike Brakes

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillr View Post
    I run Elixir CR (8" front, 7" rear rotors) on my AM bike with good results using the Brake Authority "Aggressive" compound pads. Good bite, good modulation with very little fade. I've ridden them at Downieville, Northstar and my local trails.

I also rode the Kool-Stop pads for a long time and liked them better than Avid stock sintered or organic but this compound Braek Authority may have a bit more bite and little less fade.
    Been wondering about the Brake Authority pads. Did you pick them up through their website or another source you might share and what's the pricing like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    Curious if anyone finds that they go through Elixir pads faster than other brake pads you've used. Mine now last less than two months in dry weather. And yes, I am using the semi metallic ones.

These brakes perform quite well, but the short pad life is a drag (pun intended). Of course, I am riding a larger bike now (my first 29" FS bike), but it is no heavier than other rigs I've had. I have not gained weight (honest :-)

Thinking about trying another brand/model pads. Any suggestions?
    Yep--mine generally lasted about the same--make sure they are in fact the metallic ones--my LBS swore they installed the metallics (sintered) and they were mistaken. Having said all that, about 2 months was my avg for the sintered. It prolly doesnt help that I weigh 225, and use the brakes hard on a 1,700 decent on a daily basis. I replaced the front brake with the M785 2012 XTs--so far it appears the pads are lasting longer--I believe they are larger.

My elixxers only actuated one piston well--I am guessing that wears pads quicker

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    My elixxers only actuated one piston well--I am guessing that wears pads quicker
    At least one of them.