mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Alternative pads for Magura

Need new pads for my Marta's, reading the blurb that came with them and on the Magura website, they frown on the use of other manufacturers pad with their brakes, saying it will cause them to overheat and invalidate the warranty.

Does anyone have any experience using alternative pads with Magura's if so what brands and type o(organic sintered etc)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    EBC and Jagwire make Marta compatible pads.

I haven't tried them because of the warranty invalidation. For what I spent on my SL's I can't justify saving $15-30 at the expense of a 5-year warranty. Not many component manufacturers will offer a 5-year warranty.

But, to each his own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am not really bothered about the additional cost of Magura pads as I acknowledge that the brakes are expensive, but was just interested if anyone had any experience with other manufacturers pads. Wondered if it was a marketing ploy to encourage sales of their own brand pads at the expense of aftermarket manufacturers.

There seem to be quite a few manufacturers making pads for maguras, and I guess this would indicate that there must be a market for them.

mtbr member
    Most Magura calipers do not have a copper heat isolator between the pads and piston, so over heating is a potential issue if the aftermarket pads have a high thermal conductivity. From a business and safety perspective, it's only reasonable to recommend against using pads of unknown design.

Typically, organic or semi metallic pads are OK, fully sintered pads are the concern. That said, I've run various aftermarket pad (organic, semi-metallic and sintered) on various Magura calipers. However, I rarely, if ever, overheat my brakes. Your riding style may be different.

Magura OE pads do seem to last longer though.