mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. alternative oil for magura fr?

can shimano mineral oil be used to fill the magura louise fr brakes? or walmart mineral oil?

and which is the prefered method to fill, the double syringe as magura recommends?( seems hard by oneself) or can results be achieved by filling at resivor and bleeding at caliper? thanks

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by staz
    can shimano mineral oil be used to fill the magura louise fr brakes? or walmart mineral oil?

and which is the prefered method to fill, the double syringe as magura recommends?( seems hard by oneself) or can results be achieved by filling at resivor and bleeding at caliper? thanks
    Personally, I would not recommend mixing another brand's mineral oil or using generic drugstore mineral oil with your Maguras since you'll likely void your warranty. Each brake is made specifically for a certain fluid. Changing may cause problems.

Although I've never used Magura discs, I've used the double-syringe bleed technique on my Formula B4 SLs with excellent results. It's not too hard to do alone, you just need to keep a close eye on the reservoir fluid levels, etc.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by staz

If you can't find Magura blood and absolutely need to ride now, I would probably use Shimano and the generic as a last resort. If it can wait, try your LBS or order directly from MaguraUSA. A pint is only $15 and will last forever. The small bottle is only a couple bucks and will get you through a single bleed (if you don't mess it up).

As far as the bleeding method, I had good results just doing the reverse bleed pushing in new fluid from the caliper. Keeping the caliper and line vertical allows the air to naturally rise to the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    If you can't find Magura blood and absolutely need to ride now, I would probably use Shimano and the generic as a last resort. If it can wait, try your LBS or order directly from MaguraUSA. A pint is only $15 and will last forever. The small bottle is only a couple bucks and will get you through a single bleed (if you don't mess it up).

As far as the bleeding method, I had good results just doing the reverse bleed pushing in new fluid from the caliper. Keeping the caliper and line vertical allows the air to naturally rise to the top.
    But with the newer calipers you need to do the double syringe method so you know you got the air out of both cylinders, just pushing up from the bottom won't get all of the air out. Never use mineral oil, your brakes probably won't even function, the Shimano oil may be ok if you have to.... but the wally world stuff will just wreck your brakes, too thick.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    When Maggie blood was hard to get in North America, they recomended using FinishLine #10 or #5 fork oil, which is mineral oil. Walmart mineral oil is of an unkown weight & purity. Shiman0 mineral oil will "probably" work. Maggie blood is easy to get now, just give them a call.

Some Maggie hydraulic rim brake users used drugstore mineral oil without any problems, but they noticed that the brakes were a bit sluggish as the oil was thicker.

The 2 syring system works well for bleeding. Filling the resevoir and pumping the oil down (a la Shiman0's original instructions) works too, but it's hard to get all the air out.

Cheers,

Tom