mtbr member
    May 2010

Alternate rotors for Formula RX brakes

Hi
    Probably been discussed somewhere on here. Tried the search , lots of stuff except what I was after.

I'm interested to know if people have tried other brand rotors with there Formula RX brakes and what your thoughts/ recommendations were.

Reason I ask is the AC all mountain wheels don't recommend Formula light weight rotors, and pre 2012 didn't come with adapters. Never had problems with these rotors on my DT swiss wheels. Not paying $75 for the new Formula rotors each.

Cheers
    Hardtails are for the road, Full Sus is for the dirt. Guess what...PARADOX... Its wrong that a Hardtail can be this much..FUN

mtbr member

Will let you know in a day or two...

I just bought a set of 2011 Formula RX without rotors (Very good deal on last year's) from my favorite LBS.

I was told I could use different rotors and will be setting it up with a Hayes V7 up front and either a V6 or V7 in the rear.

The front will go on a FOX 32 Talas post mount using the adapter in the picture attached. Might need a few washers/shims to get the caliper positioned perfectly.

The rear should be easy.

I'll report back with pictures and review.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate rotors for Formula RX brakes-180mm-post-mount-adapter.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use Magura Storm SL rotors with The One, R1, and Mega formula brakes. They work well with all of them and are relatively cheap.

MarkyMark
    XTR Ice-tech

The Formula 180 rotor up front was so light and flexible that it hit the brake pads and ringed. The stiff aluminum carrier on the XTRs took care of that annoying issue.

mtbr member
    Hayes v7 rotors + formula RX:

Mostly ok .... A little squealing, but it's spring and there's a bit of damp trail still.

The rotors I have are used and came from my last bike. I'm about to put on some new Hayes v7 rotors. I'll report back.

Fit: the rear caliper is installed using a
    180mm bracket adapter that was on my last bike with Hayes HFX-9 and the above rotors. The rear caliper-to-rotor alignment is not perfect. The rotor sticks up about 1mm above the top of the pads. I might file down the adapter or buy a formula adapter.

The front is a good fit with a standard 180 post mount adapter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate rotors for Formula RX brakes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331655931.171775.jpg  

mtbr member
    On closer inspection, the rear sits OK.

Performance seems good.... Reasonable modulation and excellent power.

Need to put the new rotors on and then reassess.
    Last edited by yogidave; 03-15-2012 at 04:57 AM.

mtbr member

New + New = Great!

Quote Originally Posted by yogidave View Post
    On closer inspection, the rear sits OK.

Performance seems good.... Reasonable modulation and excellent power.

Need to put the new rotors on and then reassess.
    New Hayes V7 rotos + New Formula RX brakes play nice together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have tried the R1 rotors and the previous model XT's, and found the shimano to be quieter. The 180mm R1's if brushed, even lightly, would produce a horrible hi-pitched harmonic that sparked rage in the hearts of men.

mtbr member
    Hayes + RX

Works great, even on a monster DH run where the rotors got so hot that I got a 1st degree burn when I accidentally brushed my calf on the rear...

Some fade, but given how steep it was, no more than expected an mich better than other set ups I've run...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate rotors for Formula RX brakes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333854536.109270.jpg