mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Already tired of Juicy 5s - is Shimano XT the answer?

Hi,

I've had my new Chameleon for a month now and I have to say the brakes - Juicy 5s - are really keeping me from being ecstatic about my new bike. When you pay this much for a bike, it's pretty disappointing having parts on it that that are so temperamental and erratic when it comes to rotor rubbing, grinding noises, etc. It's non-stop taking it to the LBS, having adjustments made, then two rides later, a new problem.

With that being said, do you think it would be worth already replacing the Juicys with XTs? I have no idea at this point if the LBS would swap out the brakes for XTs and I'd only pay the difference, or if the full replacement cost would be on me.

So, are the XTs head and shoulders a significant improvement over the Juicys, or do you think I'd just have the same problems? How accommodating are most LBSs when dealing with issues like this? Does this qualify as a warranty issue?

I just want to be happy with my new bike...

mtbr member
    Rotor rubbing + 'shing shing' noises are normal for incorrectly adjusted discs of any manufacturer. They really don't have to be much out to rub because the gap between the pads and rotor is so small.

I've got some XT discs (not the very newest ones) and some Juicy 5s. Both feel just as good when correctly set up - both occasionally need re-centering (sometimes randomly, sometimes after removing and refitting the wheels).

It can sometimes be time consuming to get the discs not to rub on either system, but usually its just a matter of undoing the allen bolts on the caliper, pulling the brake and nipping the bolts back up.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Try doing that with a 203 rotor and you'll see how centered they will (NOT) be.

It may not be so easy but it isn't hard to center the calipers. And eventually you'll have to do it from time to time with any brakes. Try to keep your rotors true. If they aren't true it's almost impossible not to rub due to the small gap between rotor and pads.

Sweater
    You may want to try new washers on the centering screws. They are generally made of a soft metal and easily overtightened. This will give them a memory, and make them impossible to center correctly. Might not be the answer but something to consider before spending a couple hundred bucks on a new brake set.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the replies. The LBS where I bought the bike is willing to swap out the Juicys for the XTs and I'll only pay the difference in price between the two. I thought this was extremely generous of them! After reading all the threads on the Juicy problems, I came to the conclusion it would be best to just pay an extra $100 and replace them with the XTs than continually sink money into the Juicys with no guarantee they'll work right.

banned
    That's a great deal. XT's are way better brakes than Juicies, IMO, plus you can bleed them easily.

mtbr member
    Let us know how the XTs are. I am considering replacing Juicy 3s with XTs myself.

ride hard take risks
    Possibly your LBS is only capable of centering Shimanos but dont know how to work on brakes.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot