mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Alltech V-Brake Levers

I need to get some levers for some TRP CX8.4's, and Avid Speed Dial (including the Ultimtes), and Cane Creek immediately come to mind. I do recall a friend had some really smooth V-brake levers maybe 10 years ago called Alltechs (?), and they must be on par with the better levers made today. They were simple, had great modulation, were light, and looked nice. They were probably CNC'd, and I remember that the finish was good too. My friend had a really nice bike, so I would imagine they were considered high end in the day.

I can't find these anywhere... Are they sold under another brand, and do they still make them as a V-brake lever? Any links, photos, or contact information would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Found em'. The brand name is/was ALTEK, not Alltech, and they made cantilever, hydraulic, and V-brake lever models in the late 1990's...

According to the Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technolofy (Mobat.org), the V-brake lever model was introduced as the Altek Shark Fin in 1996. In 1997, there was an entry for ALTEK Linear Pull Brakes, linear pull levers (ALTEK BL-25), and cantilever levers (BL-10). No other mention of ALTEK is made after 1997...

I'm assuming that it was a U.S. company that made super high quality components like White Industries, Phil Wood, and Paul Components. We could use more such companies for sure! I'm curious as to why the company is no longer around. :confused

MTBR did a review of them, and 23 posters gave them a score of 4.83/5, with 22 posters giving them a perfect score of 5 chillies… One poster gave them only 1 chillie, and it seems that it was beacuse they were not compatible with his pod shifters.

Found lots of photos once I had the proper spelling. Here are a few... Look at those drilled barrel adjusters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alltech V-Brake Levers-altek-levers-1.jpg  

Alltech V-Brake Levers-altek-levers-2.jpg  

Alltech V-Brake Levers-altek-levers-3.jpg