mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Alligator Windcutter rotors and organic pads

Hey all,

Recently switched my Avid BB7 brakes to Alligator Windcutter rotors 180mm front 160mm rear for my Jamis Dragon 650b. Thinking of using organic pads on these rotors to cut noise (btw I'm confident my setup is correct).

I've heard some say that Windcutter rotors will eat organic pads in no time at all. True or not true?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm running 160mm Windcutters front and rear with my Hope Evo X2 brakes and Hope organic pads. They do eat Hope organic pads in a hurry. I use my rear brake much more and I actually wore a set of pads down so far that one of the arms on the rear pad spring started clicking on the rotor cutouts and folded one of the spring arms over. Fortunately, I caught it early enough to save the rotor. There was almost no pad material left.

My backyard trail has some very steep sections. The organic pads work fine, but you need to pay close attention to your pad wear to prevent this from happening. My organic pads never had any chunks taken out by the Windcutters, like I have heard some guys on these forums say has happened to them.

Rub it............
    Organic pads wear faster due to the softer compound. Hence why they are quieter. It won't matter what rotor you use, organic pads will wear faster.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Organic pads wear faster due to the softer compound. Hence why they are quieter. It won't matter what rotor you use, organic pads will wear faster.
    Yes, we know this. But, the Windcutters have larger than average cutouts on the braking track that seems to be a trait that is especially tough on softer pads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with the stock metallic pads for the extra durability. Once the pads heat up, the noise becomes less of an issue anyways.

One thing I noticed is that Price Point has some Alligator semi-metallic pads for sale. Feedback on performance and durability for these with Windcutters?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with the stock metallic pads for the extra durability. Once the pads heat up, the noise becomes less of an issue anyways.

One thing I noticed is that Price Point has some Alligator semi-metallic pads for sale. Feedback on performance and durability for these with Windcutters?
    I originally bought the Windcutters for my BB7's about a year and a half ago. I bought some $6 Alligator organic pads from Price Point just to hold me over until I bought my Hope X2's. The organic compound looked like it had no metal in it at all. It looked like dried glue. They never felt right. The Alligator semi metallic pads would probably be a better choice for the Windcutters.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    been using windcutters with BB7's for a few yrs now... I get about a yr outa a set of organics (about 30-40 miles a week average in New England rocky/hilly conditions)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup View Post
    Hey all,

Recently switched my Avid BB7 brakes to Alligator Windcutter rotors 180mm front 160mm rear for my Jamis Dragon 650b. Thinking of using organic pads on these rotors to cut noise (btw I'm confident my setup is correct).

I've heard some say that Windcutter rotors will eat organic pads in no time at all. True or not true?

Thanks!
    Sintered pads work the best with the Windcutters. Avid and EBC Gold.