mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Alligator Super Fortress Compressionless Cable Kit Question

So I went ahead and bought an Alligator Super Fortress brake cable kit from Pricepoint due to them being on sale and have yet to install it. First thing I noticed was that the cable structure is similiar to a compressionless shifter cable where it has strands of metal wires instead of the spiral core common with Shimano brake cables. After reading Sheldon Brown's web site, it states that compressionless stranded cables are not safe for brake use. So, what is the verdict on Alligator cables, in particular the Super Fortress cables. Are they good to go? Anybody have first hand experience with them?

I Love my Rize
    I have them and they are the BEST cables I have ever used period. Yea they are safe as they are designed for brakes. Derailleur compression less cables SHOULD NOT BE USED.
    I have been running shifter and brake super fortress for about a year and a half now and they are super slick and give your brakes a much better feel. No mushiness at all. I have used Jagwire Ripchord and xtr and both were fine but the gators took them to school.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY