mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Alligator Serration Disc Brake Rotor.. Light Weight Rotors.

I'm looking to shave some weight from my brake system (Avid BB7 185mm). Has anyone tried or seen in person the Alligator Serration Disc Brake Rotor for sale on Pricepoint.com and Ebay? They claim to be about 92grams each for the 160mm rotors,which, if I'm right, would be about 102grams lighter per rotor than the avid rotors... that's 200+ grams lighter!!
    They're listed as 180mm... would that be ok to use instead of the 185mm from avid?

Any thoughts, ideas or advise on these or any other rotors that would be lighter that the avid ones?
    Thanks!

just ride
    There is a bunch of info over on the save some weight forum about them. But be careful there, one of the guys sells them, and thus swears they are the greatest thing since flush toilets.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I have them and I feel they have reduced stopping power compared to the formula rotors that I also use. So when I am here in FL I have no problem with them but whenever I travel up north I use different rotors. If I had it to do again I would buy a different rotor and not worry about the difference in weight.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Strong, light, quiet, cheap, and tres cool.

I'm rocking them with my XTR calipers.

I haven't had any problems with stopping power versus other discs I've used in the past.

I've got the 160s for XC/street terrorizing, though, depending on your type of riding perhaps you'll do well with 180s. Go for it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I had major brake boil problems with the Alligators on trails where I never had issues before. I totally cooked the rotor until it turned black and the fluid was hissing out my caliper seals. I have ridden that descent a hundred times before at least, and with smaller rotors to boot (the Alligator was a 200mm, I also do the descent regularly with Magura 180mm rotors and no issues). The light weight rotor is a poor heat sink. If you are a flat lander, go for it. If you tempt brake fade regularly as it is, don't even think about it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by njtroncoso
    I'm looking to shave some weight from my brake system (Avid BB7 185mm). Has anyone tried or seen in person the Alligator Serration Disc Brake Rotor for sale on Pricepoint.com and Ebay? They claim to be about 92grams each for the 160mm rotors,which, if I'm right, would be about 102grams lighter per rotor than the avid rotors... that's 200+ grams lighter!!
    They're listed as 180mm... would that be ok to use instead of the 185mm from avid?

Any thoughts, ideas or advise on these or any other rotors that would be lighter that the avid ones?
    Thanks!

I am not sure you have the weights right. I thnk they are about 20-30 grams less per rotor per size than the Avids. 92 g vs 115 ish in the 160s.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I am not sure you have the weights right. I thnk they are about 20-30 grams less per rotor per size than the Avids. 92 g vs 115 ish in the 160s.

G
    [SIZE=2]
    That is correct, 92vs 115ish…..
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the 160s on my bike for about a month and I don't notice much of a difference from the XTR rotors when riding XC. I am still using XTR calipers.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    There is a bunch of info over on the save some weight forum about them. But be careful there, one of the guys sells them, and thus swears they are the greatest thing since flush toilets.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    I have them and I feel they have reduced stopping power compared to the formula rotors that I also use. So when I am here in FL I have no problem with them but whenever I travel up north I use different rotors. If I had it to do again I would buy a different rotor and not worry about the difference in weight.

I agree with BeerCan... for that reason I just swapped back to stock Shimano rotors...I missed the extra power...the weight difference are pretty obvious...of course the bigger the rotor, the bigger the weight savings, around 50g in the 203mm rotors...

The plough
    " The Secret" to light rotor design is as follows:

1. Use thinner steel = lighter = less structurally sound and less heat management ability
    2. Scallop the rim of the rotor = lighter, "prettier" = less contact patch thus less braking power, vibration during high speed braking
    3. Drill or cut slices out of the rotor = lighter, less structurally sound, less contact patch = better cooling, deglazing function, degassing function

I like my rotors round, solidly built, and drilled in moderation. I reckon I lose more weight by working hard on the bike and wearing proper clothing than the measly 80 - 100g difference by using compromised rotors.

V.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I've had those rotors for about half a year, they replaced stock Avid rotors on my Juicy 5 brakes. Rear was 160 mm (about 10 g difference) and front was 185 mm so I went 180 mm (about 60 g difference). I had to file an Avid 185 PM-PM adapter to fit the 180 mm rotor.

I haven't noticed any loss of stopping power, compared to Avid rotors, since I broke the rotors in, neither on flat land nor in the mountains. However, the serrated Alligator / Ashima rotors are noticeably softer, they tend to bend a little if you remove them and then put them back on the hubs. The steel they're made from is also softer - truing them with adjustable wrench easily leaves marks on their surface which very seldom happened to other rotors.