mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Alligator rotors just as good as Avid rotors?

I've got a rotor that was damaged. Alligators look a heck of a lot cheaper and look very similar to the Avid rotors. Is there any reason why they wouldn't perform just as well? (i.e. thickness, different steel qualities)

Interplanetary Poultry
    They'll work. I'm running 'em on my bike right now. The rear rotor bedded in fast and works great, the front was warped when I got it and took a good 50 miles of trail riding before it was giving me the feel I felt it should but seems fine now.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Rub it............
    Been running the Alligator rotors for almost 5 years now on 3 different bikes. But after switching to SLX's at the beginning of the year, I'm going to pick up a pair of XT rotors due to some noise when braking. It may or may not quiet them down, so we will see.

I am noticing a little more brake pad wear on these than my previous brakes, probably due to Shimano pads being a resin and Avid pads being sintered.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I've got a rotor that was damaged. Alligators look a heck of a lot cheaper and look very similar to the Avid rotors. Is there any reason why they wouldn't perform just as well? (i.e. thickness, different steel qualities)
    Here's the thing.............
    You know what works, Avids. If you go Alligator and they are just OK, you wasted your money as you now to account for the difference in performance.

If you are strapped for cash and want to ride, then you can put up with a possible decrease in performance.

Personally, I find the Avid HS1 rotor to one of the quietest and grippiest rotors I've used on my Formula RX brakes.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Alligator rotors just as good as Avid rotors?

I'm not a big fan of FUD. Any others have experience with the Alligators?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've used both. I haven't noticed much of a difference. There may be a slight pulsing. The alligator sawtooths are cheap and much lighter.

I run Alligator Wind Cutters on both my bikes. 203's in front, 160's in the rear. I got them because they looked cool and they were cheap, but I quickly found that the Wind Cutters quieted down the vibration that is common in Avid brake setups.

I've been running them for many years. Here in SoCal, we have many STEEP descents and many LONG descents, so they get a lot of heavy use. I wouldn't go back to Avid rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I swapped to alligator serration/windcutters on my old bike to make it look more badass. That it did, AND braking still worked great. Never had a problem, nor made a howl/screech/warble/turkey sex noise ever.

A good alternative for those who want to avoid turkey sex and make your bike more badass at the same time.

mtbr member
    I ran a set of Alligator Sawtooth rotors with some Hope X2s for a while. They were fine, can't say I ever noticed them for better or worse, just worked.