Jacob 34:19

Alligator rotors for BB7's in 185mm?

I've had good luck with Alligator rotors on my SS running 160/160 so I thought I'd try them on my geared bike. Problem is, I'm running a 185mm rotor in the front and haven't been able to find the Alligator rotors in that size. Will the 180's work? Is there an aftermarket IS adaptor I can buy?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just put "alligator 185mm brake rotors" in my google search and a blurb said they have them at pricepoint.com and they work on Avid brakes.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Big Gulps, Alright!
    A buddy of mine has the 180mm rotor and it works well enough on the 185mm adapter. He shuffled around some of the CPS bolts too. If you want, you can grab a 160mm adapter for the rear, and mount it in the front for 180mm. That's what I did and it works like a charm.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    A buddy of mine has the 180mm rotor and it works well enough on the 185mm adapter. He shuffled around some of the CPS bolts too. If you want, you can grab a 160mm adapter for the rear, and mount it in the front for 180mm. That's what I did and it works like a charm.
    Yup, that's the trick for the rear. I've been running the 180 Alligator Windcutter (Serrated or pick any name it has accrued) by just removing one of the spacers from each side of the CPS hardware. Cheaper than buying new adapters and still allows for perfect caliper adjustment.

BB

Jacob 34:19

Thanks.

Great info. Thanks guys.

Former Bike Wrench
    I have a 180 Rotor that I was going to set up my Avid Juicy 5's with.

You mention removing one spacer, since one spacer is concave and one is convex...which one did you remove?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

You mention removing one spacer, since one spacer is concave and one is convex...which one did you remove?
    I'll have to go out in the garage and look in my little plastic bag of Avid goodies to see. It's 5:45 am and umpteen below zero, so give me a few hours. I may have even removed 2 spacers to get my 5mm. More on that once I am out of bed and dressed...

It's probably not the best endorsed method, but I didn't seem to lose any ability to adjust the calipers and more pad is touching the brake than before. The "endorsed" method would be to buy new adapters, but that's $8 a piece and removing the spacers was "free" and did the trick for me.

BB

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

I just went out and checked in the garage. Wow! Words like concave and convex are beyond a musician's knowledge base. How about the one that is straight on one side and cups inwards on the other side? Whatever you call it, that's the one I took out. Millimeter wise, it doesn't quite account for a full 5mm, but it gets me a little closer to 180mm than leaving all the spacers for a 185mm rotor.

BB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You only need to remove about 2.5mm of spacers as the diameter is 185. Should be easy enough to get your space.

I am having to do the opposite. I have an XTR brake with an adapter for 180 and I have 185mm rotor. I will stick a couple 1mm washers under the adapter to raise it up. Should work.