mtbr member

Alligator rotors?

Does anyone know if you can get these in a "just plain" configuration i.e. no colors or weird ti-coating? The ones I see online are either one; I can't seem to find plain ones. I am going to try them to see if this will shut up my Avid Elixir 7 SLs from vibrating/making turkey noises.

Thanks
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Pricepint has several styles of Alligator rotors in "plain"
    Brakes/Disc at Price Point

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Does anyone know if you can get these in a "just plain" configuration i.e. no colors or weird ti-coating? The ones I see online are either one; I can't seem to find plain ones. I am going to try them to see if this will shut up my Avid Elixir 7 SLs from vibrating/making turkey noises.

Thanks
    Which model of rotor are you talking about? Ashima in Taiwan makes the "Alligator" rotors.

mtbr member
    The Windcutter, sorry I wasn't specific in the OP.

mtbr member
    Ok, now I see that the plain ones aren't called "Windcutter", but "Serration". Are they the same? Are these the ones that supposed to shut-up the Avid noises?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    They're pretty cheap at Pricepoint and may be worth a shot, but FWIW they didn't do much for my squealing Avid BB7s.

Always Learning
    Ok, now I see that the plain ones aren't called "Windcutter", but "Serration". Are they the same? Are these the ones that supposed to shut-up the Avid noises?
    Serrated and Windcutter are both the same Ashima/Alligator rotor. I use them on all of my bikes with the BB7's - 160mm front/140mm rear.

PricePoint carries them in the "non-colored" version. Nino carries them here. And they are available all over eBay.

Dos Niner with the 160f/140r Windcutters

Dos Niner with 100mm REBA

BB

mtbr member
    Have you tried organic pads already? I have switched out my rotors (to a magura storm sl) and it didn't do anything for the Wookie mating calls my rear brake would make. Installed organic pads and that nearly eliminated it. Now, i run a semi-metalic and organic mix in the caliper for a touch more noise and bite.

mtbr member
    Ok, I have sweet silence now! I replaced my rotors with Alligator Serrations front and rear from Pricepoint, followed the procedure that MotorJeff recommended (using some sort of brake glue to adhere the pads to the spring), and then bedded the pads in. BAM! They are silent. Before, during the bed-in, they would start to vibrate and get noisy..now silence. YES!!!!!! I am excited to ride Thursday and put them to true test. This is on a Stumpy EVO 29 HT with Elixir 7 SLs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I used one of the plain, cheaper Alligator rotors in 180mm on the rear & it warped after 2 wks (about5-6 rides). I took off down the trailhead, everythng was fine then heard what sounded like something in the spokes. Hopped off, checked it out, no sign of any debris but rearwheel was hard to turn. I thought it was a loose brakepad but that was fine so changed out the rotor whcih looked warped. Back to Avid 160 & no problems. I don't have any steep dh so hard to believe it would warp so quickly. Everything was tight..... Got it really cheap so not a huge deal.

mtbr member
    Are these the ones that supposed to shut-up the Avid noises?
    I am using the Ti-Ni coated ones on my singlespeed with Avid BB5's and they did stop the notorious Avid "Turkey Gobble" completely and are overall much quieter. I am very happy with them.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    The Alligator rotors got rid of my Avid gobble too. I think they are thinner, so their natural frequency is lower, and not as prone to set up harmonic vibrations. That's just my guess though. They do tend to get minor warps over time, but it isn't anything that 2 minutes with a crescent wrench hasn't been able to fix.

mtbr member
    ^^^ +1
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's good to see some people having luck. I bought some 160mm Wincutters a few weeks ago and they replaced worn out Avid Cleansweep X rotors. The Cleansweep X was pretty solid front and rear on my BB7's until they wore out. The Avids only did the famous turkey warble at the end.

The $12 Wincutter with Alligator $6 organic pads (Pricepoint) were meant to be cheap temporary replacements until I buy new brakes (probably Hopes). I always run organic pads because they are much quiter in the SoCal desert, but the Windcutter felt very weak from the get go. Sintered pads may give them more bite, but I have heard a lot of people say that they felt their Windcutters feel weak because they don't have enough surface area. They may be great for you guys that like a softer feel on disc brakes. I never experienced any turkey wobble vibration, but the Windcutter never stopped making a high pitched squeal when I put heavy pressure on them. If 6 rides with around 20,000 of vertical isn't enough to break them in, I took them off too early. I don't want to mess with glue. It's time to try the Hopes!

mtbr member
    After a good ride, still no noise. I am convinced the goop + rotors fixed it. I don't notice any difference in braking power with the Alligators.