Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rub it............

Alligator 180mm vs. Avid 185mm

Well, my new Alligator 180 rotors came in today, so I decided to remove the old ones and find out what the difference is.

Both Alligator rotors came in at the same weight individually and with hardware, however, the Avid Cleansweeps did not. Here are the differences.

Surprisingly, the Avid hardware is lighter than the hardware that came with the Alligator rotors.

Alligator Hardware

Avid Hardware

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So use the avid bolts on the new rotors. I'm sure you checked, but were the bolt sizes the same?

You could also grab some Ti bolts........and only use 3 per rotor...........but then you'd be a weight weenie

The rotors are good, hope they work well for you (I made sure to use fresh pads though when I changed).

Rub it............
    Yeah, the bolts are the same size, but I'm using the new ones until I can get some Ti bolts. Fresh pads are also in the order but have to do some filing on the caliper brackets to get the caliper down to 180mm.

mtbr member
    Is it ok to use 180mm alligator with a 185mm avid brake adapter?

Will having 5mm less cause issues?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Would like to know as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Me too. I just had to replace my Avid rotor. I wanted to get the Alligator rotor, but wasn't sure about the fitment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Yeah, the bolts are the same size, but I'm using the new ones until I can get some Ti bolts. Fresh pads are also in the order but have to do some filing on the caliper brackets to get the caliper down to 180mm.
    I had to take my 185mm bracket down some to get the pads more bite on the 180mm Alligator rotor. It was good I had a new rotor cause it made it easier to see exactly where the pads were on the rotor. I did a before and after ride and could really tell the difference.

I would recommend you only take a little bit of material off the bracket at a time so the rotor won't end up hitting the caliper...It was a PITA filing, installing, testing, removing....filing, installing, testing, removing but eventually I got it...Good Luck!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would think as the pad wears, part of the pad may not be worn down by the 180mm rotor and it may create some noise or chatter. Because normally the pad rides on the rotor but not all the way out of the edge.

Just my guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    I would think as the pad wears, part of the pad may not be worn down by the 180mm rotor and it may create some noise or chatter. Because normally the pad rides on the rotor but not all the way out of the edge.

Just my guess.

Correct, that's what made me file my brackets down because the rotors were not setting in the calipers far enough. I'm sure the problem was the Alligator disc but my 180mm bracket was to small and the 185mm was almost to big but worked...it's easier to take it off then put it on...

How much does it weigh?
    Even easier to just add some washers

Maybe the Avid rotors weigh different because of the wear.. they are used.

Rub it............
    Since this is my original post, I'll elaborate.

To use a 180mm rotor with the Avid brakes, going down in bracket size is required. I've done it a couple of ways. With my bb7's - when I originally posted - I successfully filed down one of the brackets that came with the brakes. I took too much material off the 2nd one, so I bought a Shimano 180mm adapter.

For my setup with Juicy's, I just went ahead and purchased the Shimano 180mm adapters. Zero problems.

mtbr member
    So a front Shimano 180mm adapter would work for Elixir CR front brake with 180mm rotor?

Mind providing a link for the exact adapter you got since there are so many out there?

Since this is my original post, I'll elaborate.

To use a 180mm rotor with the Avid brakes, going down in bracket size is required. I've done it a couple of ways. With my bb7's - when I originally posted - I successfully filed down one of the brackets that came with the brakes. I took too much material off the 2nd one, so I bought a Shimano 180mm adapter.

For my setup with Juicy's, I just went ahead and purchased the Shimano 180mm adapters. Zero problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I guess the Shimano is meant to be bolted on with 160mm when adapter-less right on the fork. If your brake is also made to be that way then I guess it will also work.

This may only apply to post mount applications not the IS though.

Rub it............
    Too many variables depending on if its IS to Post mount or just Post to Post, is quick release, thru axle, etc.

Tell me what your adapter needs and I can figure it out.

mtbr member
    Currently running 160mm rotor with a Reba 29 SL fork with Elixir CR brakes.

Want to run a 180mm rotor with the same fork and brakes.

Here's what I have right now:

I believe the fork and caliper are 74mm (can't measure with a tape since I'm away now).

Is this the mount I need?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Adaptor.aspx

Rub it............
    That is the same one I'm using on my Manitou post mount. Works great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you look at your front 160mm avid adaptor it will also say 140mm rear. so by getting a 160mm rear i use it up front for the 180mm rotor and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Don't file your Avid adapters. That is just dumb and too much work. Replace the two avid washers on the bottom of the caliper with one 2.5mm washer and you are set.

The Shimano adapter is 180mm and the Avid is 185. The calipers are designed differently, but a Avid or Shimano brake can be bolted right onto a 160mm post mount fork. So, the only difference is the adapter size. Again, remove a washer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt
    Don't file your Avid adapters. That is just dumb and too much work. Replace the two avid washers on the bottom of the caliper with one 2.5mm washer and you are set.

The Shimano adapter is 180mm and the Avid is 185. The calipers are designed differently, but a Avid or Shimano brake can be bolted right onto a 160mm post mount fork. So, the only difference is the adapter size. Again, remove a washer!!
    So you are suggesting to get rid Avid CPS hardware... It will be useless without a complimentary pair on the bottom of the caliper.

That is a really silly suggestion if you ask me.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Don't file your Avid adapters. That is just dumb and too much work.

some people still have IS-mount calipers, so you are dumb.

Rub it............

If you re-read the post, he wants to go UP to a 180/185mm rotor. He currently has a 160mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    some people still have IS-mount calipers, so you are dumb.
    No, filing a PM forks tabs would be dumb. Getting a correct adapter would be smart also, realizing that the difference between a Shimano 180 adapter vs an Avid 185mm adapter is 2.5mm would also be smart.

Filing an adapter is not a good idea. It will no longer be square to anything.

Have you notices the only ones use the conical washers is Avid? Shimano, Formula, Hayes, Magura, etc. do not use those. Remove them and replace with one flat 2.5mm washer on the bottom of the caliper and you can use an Avid 185mm adapter with a Alligator 180mm rotor. This is all it takes and will take about two seconds to swap.

It is not that hard.

Rub it............
    I have successfully filed down adapters without issue.So by saying it will no longer be square to anything is just nonsense.

If some one wants to save a couple of bux by not buying an adapter, then as long as the bracket is filed flat - which can be done - then go ahead and file away. Its been done by other before, and will continue to be done in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have successfully filed down adapters without issue.So by saying it will no longer be square to anything is just nonsense.

If some one wants to save a couple of bux by not buying an adapter, then as long as the bracket is filed flat - which can be done - then go ahead and file away. Its been done by other before, and will continue to be done in the future.
    Knock yourself out.

mtbr member
    btw if you do not throw away CPS hardware then a filed adapter is fine because CPS is designed to tune rotor/caliper alignment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast