Low Rep Count

For all you BB7 Fans!

A Tech manual!

I recently experienced the outboard adjuster knob popping off and ordered a new set because the little nut inside the knob looks stripped. But I also realized I was going about this wrong. I did a little searching and found this on the Avid/Sram site. I will now be double checking the threads on the nut this evening by trying to thread it on by itself and see if I can get it holds. But knowing how to do this properly will be priceless! I might go ahead and overhaul the whole thing if I can find my Torx bits.

So without further ordo, here you go. This might have been posted before but here it is again just in case!

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/...sh%20final.pdf

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Good find! Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love that! Dont listen to the steel is real clowns, there always the last ones back to the car. LOL
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Low Rep Count
    ^^^The downside is that I have a steel frame but it is my motivation to buy a new frame so I have kept it!!

Low Rep Count
    On subject here with BB7's.

In the past I have read about other folks having difficulty with the washers under the caliper mounting bolts rubbing on the rotor while trying to set the brakes up. I too ran into this problem at one point and ended up just filing a flat spot on the washer to give me the clearance I needed.

Yesterday however I ended up with the caliper (outide edge-facing away from rotor if you will) rubbing on the rotor. I recentered the wheel about 3 different times but the caliper was still hitting the rotor. I went through the tech manual again and even watched the video on youtube for setting up the brakes and it still made contact. I was frustrated as I have no idea what happened all of a sudden.

So here was my solution. I have an older set of BB7's with the older style adapter mount for IS. I took it off the caliper/frame and got out my dremil with a black cutting wheel on it and filed down the side of it. Basically, the edge that comes in contact with the frame sticks out just a tad to act as a washer/spacer if you will. I filed this down until it was flush with the rest of the adapter body. I now have at least 2-3mm of space! My brakes are fully adjustable at this point and basically act the way they should have from the get go! Not sure if perhaps my frame got bent (haven't wrecked in quite some time or banged the frame) and according to my level, the mounting tabs all appear to be in line vertically!

In any case, just another little mod/tweak to the BB7's. I tell ya, I am getting closer and closer to picking up a different set of brakes. I keep saying I am going to do this when I can't get them set up right only to figure out a new trick to keep them running.

Members who have read this thread: 0