mtbr member
    May 2005

is all mineral oil the same?

i have magura louise brakes that i would like to bleed and their tech site says they take magura royal blood mineral oil brake fluid.....i was wondering if just plain mineral oil (like from the drug store) would work. or would it mess up the seals etc......also, does anyone know if an avid brake bleeder kit (my friend has one) will work or do i have to buy a magura kit...thanks for the info !

mtbr member
    I would just get some Magura blood from your LBS - regular mineral oil MAY have some impurities that could effect the brakes. I have heard of people using regular mineral oil for a sort period of time if they are in a pinch.

Do not use the Avid bleeder - if it is a used one it will have traces of DOT fluid and that will damage the seals of any mineral based system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Second that. Also be advised that according to Magura, if you blow a line in Timbuktu you can use plain old cooking oil but to purge the system once back in civilization with Magura blood..... another advantage of going Magura.

Also Magura blood isn't plain old mineral oil. Stick with the real thing...... unless your desperate in Timbuktu (!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    different mineral oils come in different weights just like suspension oil - so that can affect the feel of your brakes. personally i use a heavier oil and like the feel - it's more solid like my motorbikes brakes.

nocturnal oblivion
    First off, the grocery store mineral oil is too thick, your levers will be sluggish. Second, I don't think a "trace of impurity" or streak of DOT fluid will damage anything. I use my Avid kit but it required making a custom bleed plug as the threads aren't the same (easy if you have the die to thread an aluminum tube). If you're worried about DOT contamination for some stretched out reasoning then just wash and dry the Avid system first.

MTBR Member
    Thread Hijack - What's the consensus on using one brake manufacturers "specially formulated mineral oil" for a different manufacturers brakes?? I have a ton of Shimano mineral oil sitting around, that I won't be using up any time soon...Think it would work fine for my Magura brakes? I don't think it will be an issue.

OP sorry for the hijack

Meh.
    Magura mineral oil is a different viscosity than Shimano mineral oil. It is not a "heavier oil" it is more viscous.

mtbr member
    May 2005

wow

thanks for the info..looks like i'll just go and pick up some royal blood !!!