mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Is all mineral oil the same?

Can you use magura and shimano interchageably? Can you really use drug store stuff? Are there any real differences other than dyes and scents? I have magura and shimano and it would be nice to not have to buy everybody's special little bottle.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    I have Deore M535's and they're filled with nut oil. Not a single problem so far, but can depend on your brakes.

Meh.
    NO! DO NOT use mineral oil from the drug store. The viscosity could be different. It can contain different additives. They may react differently to temperatures. Blah blah blah. I have seen brakes that have failed because the wrong fluid was used. There will be those that have bled their brakes with drug store oil and it "works."

Shimano and Magura mineral oils are different viscosity. But I have seen customers come in with brakes bled with the wrong fluid and it worked. I would not recommend it though. Magura has a great warranty against leakage. If you use anything other than Magura, that warranty is void. Same goes for Shimano. And there are no rebuild parts from them. Shimano brakes have to go back to Shimano for new MCs or seals or pistons.

Finish Line says their fluid is fine for Shimano and Magura.

Mineral oil is not that expensive. And I wouldn't skimp on brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Since Tektro oil is a bit difficult to find, I am using Shimano fluid on my Tektro brakes. I don't feel any difference. They feel exactly the same.
    I am not sure if it is OK to use, but they are both mineral oil brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you are using a mineral oil for brakes I think you are pretty darn safe. I was one of those fools that used drugstore oil for 2.5 years in a set of XTs and they worked fine the whole time. Now I use shimano or this petosin CHF 7.1 stuff.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in agreement with XSL_WiLL on this one.

Personally, I would not be taking risks with drug store oils. To state the obvious - you rely on your brake to stop you in all conditions, they can be, literally, life savers so why scrimp on buying stuff that may or may not work all of the time.
    I know personally, I wouldn't take that risk.
    You wouldn't use just any old oil in your car engine, you'd follow the manufacturer's spec/recommendations - so why do it with brakes?

banned
    I know someone that used water in their mineral system. Anyone else want to try?

What also is not being stated is how drugstore mineral oil is not thermally stable. One gets different characteristics in a variety of temps with the stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    used mineral oil from walgreens in my deore hydros for almost 3 years now . works fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    oh yeah i forgot to mention I used it from illinois winters to texas summers still works fine!

♥ ς╥33
    Quote Originally Posted by furrybike
    Can you use magura and shimano interchageably? Can you really use drug store stuff? Are there any real differences other than dyes and scents? I have magura and shimano and it would be nice to not have to buy everybody's special little bottle.
    You want "hydraulic" mineral oil, in viscosity from like 5 to 20 or so, 5-10 when its cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.