mtbr member
    May 2007

Aligning Elixir 5 brake pads - which screws?

Hi guys,

The Elixir 5's came on my bike (2010 Norco Fluid 2), and the pad on the front brake has been rubbing against the rotor from day 1 (rear one is fine). In an effort to realign the pads myself, I unscrewed the wrong bolt (the large one right next to the Elixir 5 logo) and yeah...fluid started leaking.

So I took it to my LBS to bleed them and get them working again.

I need to take the front wheel off to fit the bike in my car, and I've read online some people say that (although it's not supposed to), doing so tends to mess up the alignment on the Elixir 5's. Not sure if that's a widespread flaw in the design or not, but regardless, my front brake pad is rubbing against the front rotor again (or maybe the LBS just bleed the brakes, but didn't adjust them).

Either way, I don't want to have to take it to the LBS just to get the pads re-aligned as this is supposed to be a simple process. Thing is, after that first experience (these are my first hydros), I'm scared ****less to unscrew anything on the Elixirs again without being certain that it's the right bolt...

So my question is, which is the one I'm supposed to loosen? I believe they are called the CPS bolts? Is it the smaller one right in the center of the brake?

BIG thanks.

Ps. As I am new to hydros...anything else I should be careful not to do (especially in regards to this process)?

nocturnal oblivion
    Still having trouble with this huh? The CPS bolts that need to be loosened are not shown in the pics. The CPS bolts are the two mounting bolts for the caliper. They have a stack of visible silver-colored washers directly beneath them. The bolts go through the two tabs that come off the sides of the caliper. The tabs are visible in the pic of the caliper.
    You know the rest (I read your original thread), just loosen those two bolts and squeeze the lever, while the lever is squeezed then re-tighten the bolts. Be careful tightening. I assume you don't have a torque wrench. Don't go aggro on it.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

nocturnal oblivion
    The CPS bolts are circled in red.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks stumblemumble!

Though for the record, I'm not the same person as the one who created the other thread you were referring to, as this is my very first post on MTBR (after lurking for 4 years) :P