If you think you can

Aligator vs. Shimano pads?

Anyone know if there is much of an advantage to using the $20 shimano metal pads over the $10 aligator semi metalic?
    Or the galfer green pads? I read that the metal pads are better in wet or muddy conditions which there is not much of here in socal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I can't comment of personal experience with Alligator but you can't really go wrong with factory stuff.

However I did use Galfer green pads before with Avid's BBDB. The one thing I noticed about greens were how quiet they were. At the time I didn't really do anything except XC so I can't comment on how they were under DH conditions. Dunno about wear either because that bike was stolen =(
    Last edited by Renovatio; 11-06-2008 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I have both, Alligator Semi metallic and Shimano OEM resin on Alligator rotors. The difference in stopping power can be felt. I really like the Alligater pads. I bought a bunch when they were $7.95 a pack (now $9.95). They tend to get reduced around the holidays. PricePoints year end sale starts on the 15th. Unless you need them this week, I'd wait and see. Let me know what you think if you buy them.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona
    Anyone know if there is much of an advantage to using the $20 shimano metal pads over the $10 aligator semi metalic?
    Or the galfer green pads? I read that the metal pads are better in wet or muddy conditions which there is not much of here in socal.
    I bought the Alligator semi-metallic pads from PricePoint. I figured for the price, even if they only lasted 6 months, they were worth it. I'd say they have been a fantastic value-they have been on a few months and I am sure I will get at least a year out of them. I got a full set of pads for both bikes for less than a full set of shimano pads for one bike. They are slightly louder than stock, but I never notice the noise out on the trails.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    The alligators semi-metallic are good for the price, but they are very loud. They work good for trail riding, but they only last a couple of days for DH riding.