mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Air getting into Code system

Hey all,

No oil leaks, but my 08 Codes are good for maybe 5 hrs ride time after a bleed. The lever slowly gets closer to bar. They have seen better days, is some sort of rebuild in order(caliper)? Or should I buy new brakes? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Rebuilding is cheaper than new brakes. If you like the Codes then rebuild em. There are ways of air getting into the system without fluid leakage. I'd start by rebuilding the MC and see if that solves the problem normally. But being that they are 3 years old I'd be inclined to shotgun it and rebuild both the MC, caliper and replace the brake lines. Your call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are these the 'Galvanized' Codes (grey)? If so, there is a known issue which required sending them back for warranty. Call SRAM and ask what they can do for you. I didn't have to spend a nickel and they knew exactly what it was (MC defect). My brakes were easily 1.5 years old when I sent them back.

When working correctly, Codes seem to require back-to-back bleeds. For me, it's hit or miss, so I do it twice. PITA, but it works.