mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Air block while trying to bleed Hayes Mag's , HELP!!

Ok,

So I switched my hayes mag lever from my ht to my dually. Both bikes run hayes mag's and are exactly the same except for the colour of hydraulic hose. We mounted the lever from the ht onto the dually, and didn't bother to change the olive. Yes, this was stupid, but even though I had new olives on me I was unsure how to get the old ones off.

Once on, the contection seemed good with no leaks between the lever and hose. We then bled the break using a syringe and the proper technique. The first bleed went fine and we got the new fluid to run through ( yes I used dot 3-4 oil). Once the first bleed was complete, the brake seemed like it could perhaps function just a litte better, so we decided to bleed again.

On the second atempt, we remembered to first reset the brake pads using a wrench. Once the pads where reset we bled the system again. However, when the bled was completed and I pressed on the lever, the damn thing sunk against the handlerbars without resistance. Right now there is absolutely no pump or brake action.

When we tried to bleed the brakes for a third time, the hydraulic fluid would no longer run through the system ( yes we made sure the bleed nipple was open). I was so frustrated, because we could not understand why the system suddenly was stopping oil from flowing in and out.

I should mention; we did depress the lever when it was off, and squirted out all the oil in the bladder. I'm thinking this was maybe a mistake...or not???

My LBS informed me that it sounded like an "AIR LOCK". Then then said it would cost 20 bucks pair side. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND WHAT TO DO???

THANKS - SCWALKE@HOTMAIL.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "I should mention; we did depress the lever when it was off, and squirted out all the oil in the bladder. I'm thinking this was maybe a mistake...or not???"

I think that's your problem. LOTS of air in the system. Bleed until there is no air coming out of the caliper, and then bleed until there is no air coming out of the master cylinder.

mtbr member
    The piston isn't fixed to the lever pushrod, it's possible that it has stayed halfway down the bore, preventing fluid from running through.
    You'd have to get enough fluid pressure in the line to push the piston back in.

I've found leaning the mag levers with the line downhill (lever blade uphill) helps too.

If you aren't losing fluid through the connection then it's unlikely air is being sucked in there.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve