mtbr member

Age-old disc brake question.

First, I'd like to say that everything I've learned about disc brakes, I got from here.

I purchased brand new XT brakes/bleed kit and installed/bled them myself. First time I ever do that. They work but, pads rub and the lever is spongy. Rotors are true and I've tried the "loosen the bolts, squeeze the lever and re-tighten bolts" method. That helped a bit but still rubbing.
    What can I do?

mtbr member
    Some systems are trickier than others due to caliper plumbing. If it's spongy - there's air. If the air expands due to heat, it'll rub.

I usually push the pistons out before bleeding and push them back right before closing everything up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de View Post
    Some systems are trickier than others due to caliper plumbing. If it's spongy - there's air. If the air expands due to heat, it'll rub.

I usually push the pistons out before bleeding and push them back right before closing everything up.
    Not sure what that means. When bleeding, I had the pads out with the 1cm bleed block in. Sounds like the pistons were spread out too wide?

mtbr member
    New system? Did you add the fluid from the master cylinder or the caliper? When I put on a new Hayes master cylinder with an old caliper this is how I did mine.

I pushed the pistons in with a box wrench or other means making sure they were flush with the casing. I installed a set of old pads and put a piece of plastic just big enough to squeeze in-between the pads. I hooked up the bottle of good fluid to the master cylinder and the drain hose to the caliper to drain into a red solo cup. i cracked open the caliper bleed screw on the caliper and lightly squeezed the bottle till a good flow of oil come out. Keeping pressure on the bottle I squeezed the brake lever a few time to get he air out. Again, keeping pressure on the bottle I closed the caliper bleed screw and added more fluid to the bottle. I then reopened the system and squeezed more oil through just to make sure I got all the air out then I close the bleed screw. I cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. To center the caliper on the rotor I did the loosen the mounting bolts and pull the lever a few times. While holding the lever I lightly tightened the mounting bolts AND eyeballed for fine tuning the centering..... sorry for the the long description, hopefully what ever it is I wrote makes sense. always refer to the manufactures recommended bleed procedures
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Thanks shwinn8. I'm going to try your method.

BTW I see you're a Schwinn fan. I just retired my "2001 Moab 1" after 12 years of great service. What a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    rock on! to add to my collection a moab is on the list.. but not right now
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

@trailgrinder
    You can try by burping your resovoir also, great info for you on how to center the rotors. I bled mine and just opened the top and it let a little air out then worked great.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    i always align my calipers by sight.

just make sure that you have the lighting conditions right